Is it worth me applying to Cambridge?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Milsomonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cambridge
In summary, the speaker has recently graduated with a 2:1 in Astrophysics and is considering applying for an MSc by research instead of a taught masters at Sussex University. They are unsure if they should also apply to Cambridge due to their weaker exam performance, but are willing to take the chance and pay the application fee. They have good references to support their application.
Milsomonk
Hi guys,
Hope all is well. So I've just graduated with a 2:1 in Astrophysics (though I ended up taking more Theoretical/applied maths modules). I've always struggled with exams and done much better in coursework and project work, I achieved 80% in my research project. I had been due to go to Sussex uni to do a taught masters but now I'm thinking about doing an MSc by research instead as it maybe fits my skill set better. I'm shall apply for a few but what I'm wondering is whether it is worth me applying to Cambridge? will they look more at the final year project than exam based module grades for and MSc by research?

In general I'm good at writing a strong application but I'm concerned that they may just chuck my application straight in the bin due to my not so strong exam performance. Anyone have experience of their applications process? I'd rather not waste the £50 they charge if I have no chance. Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No harm in trying. A worth while gamble. I'd pay £50 for a chance to get into cambridge. Properly more if push came to shove.
As long as your grades are at or above minimum acceptable.

Why not I guess! thanks :) I'll pop them an application, I've got some good references which helps.

I don't know your odds if you apply. I do, however, know your odds if you don't.

Likes dyn and Wminus

1. Is it difficult to get into Cambridge?

Yes, it is difficult to get into Cambridge. The university is known for its rigorous admissions process and high academic standards. However, if you have a strong academic record and meet the entry requirements, you have a good chance of being accepted.

2. What are the benefits of attending Cambridge?

Attending Cambridge can offer a range of benefits, including access to top-notch academic resources and renowned professors, opportunities for networking and career advancement, and a prestigious degree that can open doors to various industries and graduate programs.

3. Is Cambridge expensive to attend?

Cambridge is considered one of the most expensive universities in the UK. Tuition fees and living expenses can be high, but the university offers various scholarships and financial aid options to help students cover their costs.

4. How does the application process for Cambridge work?

The application process for Cambridge typically involves submitting an online application, providing academic transcripts and letters of recommendation, and taking an admissions test (depending on the course). Shortlisted candidates will then be invited for interviews, which are a crucial part of the admissions process.

5. Is it worth me applying to Cambridge if I am an international student?

Yes, it is worth applying to Cambridge as an international student. The university has a diverse student body and offers support for international students, including scholarships and English language courses. Attending a top university like Cambridge can also greatly enhance your career prospects globally.