Is Jerry Falwell's Hospitalization a Turning Point for Evangelical Politics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
LYNCHBURG, Va. — The Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office Tuesday and taken to the hospital, a Liberty University executive told a newspaper. [continued]
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEWS07/70515037/0/BUSINESS01

CNN International is reporting that he is being given CPR right now, so it doesn't look good for Falwell.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite the event as if Mr. Phelps had passed, but close enough.
 
Rest in peace Jerry.
I wish his family strength.
 
arildno said:
Not quite the event as if Mr. Phelps had passed, but close enough.

I don't know if it's just a rumor or the truth, but I heard Phelps was going to protest Falwell's funeral. It's a bizarre world we live in.
 
Awww, someone got rid fo my best wishes to Mr. Falwell. :devil: :devil: :devil:
 
While I have a small list of complaints that I could have lodged against Falwell (none against his religious beliefs, but many against his political views), it is unfortunate to see him go.

Moonbear said:
I don't know if it's just a rumor or the truth, but I heard Phelps was going to protest Falwell's funeral. It's a bizarre world we live in.

Not entirely (at least not for this reason). Fred Phelps isn't remotely similar to either evangelical Christians, or the fundamentalist Christians who form a subset of said group. For example, they protest soldiers' funerals, whereas most fundamentalists would be all for the Iraq war. They've even protested a Billy Graham event, despite that Graham is a favorite among Christians of all varieties. So if Phelps protested Jerry Falwell's funeral, that would at least be consistent.
 
Moonbear said:
I don't know if it's just a rumor or the truth, but I heard Phelps was going to protest Falwell's funeral. It's a bizarre world we live in.
The Westboro Baptist Church has publicly declared on their website to picket Falwell's funeral.
 
I pay my traditional respects and give my condolences to his family. One less blind intolerant fundamentalist trying to distort science. I am not particularly found of those people.