Is my blue the same as your blue?

• Thread starter Karim Habashy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the perception of color and how it may vary among individuals. It mentions the theory of the lack of a name for blue in early civilizations, as well as the existence of women called Tetrachromats who can see colors that others cannot. The conversation also touches on the idea of a universal understanding of colors and the difficulty in communicating color perception. It also brings up the question of how color deprivation in early childhood may affect color perception. Finally, the conversation mentions a study about a child who was not taught the color blue, and how this may have affected their understanding of the color.
Karim Habashy
Hi All,

Is my blue the same as your blue ? and why ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you know that the color blue is usually the last color to be given a name in a language? One theory is the lack of an blue artificial dye in early civilization, so there was no need to talk about it. There are some women called Tetrachromats who have four types of cones. Some of these women can see colors people with three cones cannot see. Some see as normal people. One theory is that the colors that the fourth cone can see where not used early in life and the brain was not trained to use this information. "Radio Lab" NPR Sat 4/18/15. That begs the question If a person is color deprived in early childhood how does that affect their color perception?

I also heard that in languages that did or do not have a word for blue, referred to that color as white. So maybe your blue is not the same as mine. Could this explain why some people choose weird color combinations?

Likes edward and Karim Habashy
I always wonder what's the mental translation of the chemicals we receive from the cons, let's say all people release the same combination of chemicals when a blue light hits the cones, but do all people have the same mental translation of this chemicals.

We canot help thinking that there is such experienced thing or quality as ' blueness' though we find it impossible to communicate or demonstrate that this the same for you as for me. Some would deny it has any meaning. And if we say a word too many Evo will block the thread.
But it is undeniable that we agree on what things we call blue (there are some differences in classification between different cultures and languages). Not only, even if your blue is my red and this meant something, our emotional reactions to blue would still be the same because the sky would be blue, leaves would be green, and blood, poisonous toadstools and other danger signals would still be red for both of us.

Likes edward, Karim Habashy and micromass
Sometimes people will differ in their opinion of a colour, so therefore perception of colour does vary in ways other than physiological conditions like colour blindness.
I distinctly remember describing a woman friend's dress as blue, and to my eyes it was definitely a shade of blue,
She however saw it as a shade of green an was equally sure about it.

rootone said:
She however saw it as a shade of green an was equally sure about it.

She could be a Tetrachromat one who has four types of cones which allow them is see a shade of yellow most people cannot see. This condition is unique to a small group of women. You test for this condition by putting this shade into a pattern of mixed colors and ask the person to distinguish between that pattern and and identical one without that shade included.

So then how do people see white the same? How do our eyes adjust for "white balance"?

Well 'white' is a fairly even spread over the visible spectrum, so I guess it's the one colour most people will agree on.
Having said that though there simply is no way to 'download' what one person perceives so that another person sees the same.
Best we can do is agree on what 'label' best describes what is seen.

Likes nitsuj
rootone said:
Well 'white' is a fairly even spread over the visible spectrum, so I guess it's the one colour most people will agree on.
Having said that though there simply is no way to 'download' what one person perceives so that another person sees the same.
Best we can do is agree on what 'label' best describes what is seen.

I guess my point is if white is a combination of many colours, someome who sees a particleur hue of blue different (materially of course) than the majority, would see white differently too, infact that would be true for any color that is a combination of the red/green/blue (and I guess sometimes yellow?) rods.

That thing about needing words to "see" colors seems very strange to me. Plenty of animals can see colors. If you can't tell the difference between blue and white, then how do you see clouds? I read the article about the guy who brought up his kid without telling (her?) that the sky was blue, but it is possible that the child didn't understand that the sky was being referred to and thought that the father was pointing at empty space. (Did he teach her the "color" of glass?)

Algr said:
If you can't tell the difference between blue and white, then how do you see clouds?

How about a difference in brightness.

Likes nitsuj

1. What is the concept behind "Is my blue the same as your blue?"

The question refers to the subjective perception of color and whether two individuals perceive the same color in the same way.

2. How do we perceive color?

Color perception is a complex process that involves the eyes, brain, and the environment. It is affected by factors such as lighting, contrast, and individual differences in color vision.

3. Is color perception the same for everyone?

No, color perception can vary from person to person due to differences in the structure of the eye, the processing of visual information in the brain, and cultural influences.

4. Can we ever truly know if we see the same color as someone else?

It is impossible to know for sure if we see the same color as someone else because we can only rely on our subjective experience of color. However, through communication and comparison, we can gain a better understanding of how others perceive color.

5. Are there any scientific studies on color perception and its variations?

Yes, many scientific studies have been conducted on color perception and its variations. These studies have explored the role of genetics, cultural influences, and environmental factors in color perception.