Is S^1 × S^2 homeomorphic to a familiar topological space?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
owlpride
Messages
210
Reaction score
0
circle x sphere = ?

Is the product space [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex] related (e.g. homeomorphic or homotopy equivalent) to a more familiar topological space? I am currently looking at maps from [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex] into other spaces, and I am having a really hard time visualizing what I am doing. Any thoughts appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Since you can visualize [tex]S^1[/tex] and [tex]S^2[/tex] by themselves, you should be able to get good impression of the whole space. Or du you need to actually see it?

How about this: Consider [tex]S^2[/tex] as the unit sphere [tex]|x|=1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then just make it thicker, and identify points on the outer edge with points on the inner edge (along the radius).

Torquil
 


Well, I am looking at smooth maps [tex]f: S^1 \times S^2 \rightarrow S^2[/tex]. Then [tex]f^{-1}(z)[/tex] is a union of circles, which may or may not be linked. How exactly would I go about visualizing knots in [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex], and especially their relative position to each other?
 


owlpride said:
Well, I am looking at smooth maps [tex]f: S^1 \times S^2 \rightarrow S^2[/tex]. Then [tex]f^{-1}(z)[/tex] is a union of circles, which may or may not be linked. How exactly would I go about visualizing knots in [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex], and especially their relative position to each other?

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to say about that.

Torquil