Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is single particle interference explainable via entanglement?

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    Do you think that:

Single particle interference is explainable via entanglement?

For example: in the single particle double slit experiment

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What does the single particle entangle with?

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    with the detector, during which-way part of the experiment.....

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you entangle the particle with the detector in a significant way, you won't see interference. So: No, entanglement with the detector cannot explain interference.

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5
    does entanglement explain absence of interference?

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

San K, you have by my count posted 149 questions on some aspect of quantum mechanics, many of which are duplicates of each other. I think we can safely conclude that this method of yours is not working.

I think part of the reason this isn't working is that you are trying to learn quantum mechanics without learning quantum mechanics. That is, you are not taking a course in it, and you're not learning to do calculations. Physics is not about trying to put the words together in the right order.

At this point, I think you have two options: accept the answers you have been given, or start learning QM formally - take a class and work through a textbook, etc. Asking the same questions over and over and over is not an option anymore: it's clearly not working, and it just makes other people cross.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook