Is Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics accessible for general readers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ibkev
Messages
131
Reaction score
61
This book Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights sounds pretty cool as something to read for fun. Has anyone looked at it yet? I'm wondering also what level of reader it's been written for?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319134426/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
smodak said:
I own the book but have not read it yet. So much to read, so little time...
The Springer site has better previews...
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319134420
Yeah those previews are the same as the ones on Amazon and are what got me thinking it sounds really cool! ... the main problem I have is they don't say enough for me to tell whether this book will be way over my head or not. My knowledge is similar I think to what a 2 or 3rd year physics student would know (I forget what sophmore/junior/etc mean in the US.

In engineering we would say I "know enough to be dangerous" LOL
 
As far as I feel, Thanu Padmanabhan wrote good books (one really good on GR, another not that much on QFT). I am pretty sure this is a good writing as well. I hope your mathematical level is high enough, as this book seems to include a fair level of equations. This shouldn't replace a conventional textbook on any subject, but I believe it can serve as a useful read after you've gone past the major courses in physics (classical mechanics, electrodynamics + special relativity, quantum mechanics).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ShayanJ