Is that OK to use cover letter template for Ph.D. application

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of templates for a Ph.D. application cover letter and whether it would be considered plagiarism to use them with some modifications. It is advised to use templates as a reference but to make sure the cover letter stands out in order to catch the attention of the person reading it amongst many other applications. Personalization is also recommended for other components of the application.
aworrystudent
Hi,

I saw many templates for the cover letter of Ph.D. application. If I use them and do a little modification, is that OK or regard as a kind of plagiarization?

Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only an undergraduate so maybe this advice doesn't apply, but it's what I have always been told when writing applications.

The person that will read your application will be reading lots and lots of applications from other people and sometimes the covering letter is the only reason that person takes a deeper look into the rest of your application. Looking at templates is a good way to see the typical structure and content of a covering letter but you must find a way to make yours stand out from the rest.

If everyone uses these templates and does a little modifying, you're not going to stand out.

BOAS said:
I'm only an undergraduate so maybe this advice doesn't apply, but it's what I have always been told when writing applications.

The person that will read your application will be reading lots and lots of applications from other people and sometimes the covering letter is the only reason that person takes a deeper look into the rest of your application. Looking at templates is a good way to see the typical structure and content of a covering letter but you must find a way to make yours stand out from the rest.

If everyone uses these templates and does a little modifying, you're not going to stand out.

Thanks a lot. The application requires another statement of purpose, hopefully there is still some room for personalization...

1. Can I use a cover letter template for my Ph.D. application?

Yes, you can use a cover letter template for your Ph.D. application. Templates can serve as a helpful guide and save you time in formatting your letter. However, it's important to tailor the template to fit your specific qualifications and experiences.

2. Will using a cover letter template make my application less unique?

Not necessarily. While a template can provide a structure for your letter, it's important to personalize it and make it specific to the program or institution you are applying to. This can make your application stand out and show your genuine interest and fit for the program.

3. Are there specific templates for different fields of study?

Yes, there are templates available for different fields of study. Some universities or organizations may even have their own specific templates for Ph.D. applications. It's important to do some research and find a template that aligns with your field and the requirements of the program you are applying to.

4. Can I use the same template for multiple applications?

Yes, you can use the same template for multiple applications. However, it's important to customize each letter to fit the specific program or institution you are applying to. This can demonstrate your understanding of the program and your genuine interest in it.

5. Is it better to use a template or write my own cover letter from scratch?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and writing abilities. If you feel confident in your writing skills and can effectively convey your qualifications and interest in the program, then writing your own cover letter may be a better option. However, if you are unsure of how to structure a cover letter or want to save time, using a template can be a helpful guide. Just be sure to personalize it and make it unique to your application.