Is the animation/graphics for NASA's Webb telescope in error?

In summary, the conversation was about a graphical error on a NASA webpage that showed the Earth with a tilted axis of rotation, which caused confusion about the northern hemisphere's season during the Webb launch. However, it was clarified that the graphics were meant to represent time or distance rather than a snapshot of the Earth's position in relation to the L2 insertion point. The conversation also included speculation about the meaning of the graphics and whether they were meant to depict an actual trajectory or just a generic Earth. Ultimately, it was determined that the graphics were not meant to be analyzed too deeply and were simply a visual aid for the viewer.
swampwiz
I am looking at the webpage for the status, and it seems to me that there is a big error in the graphics:
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html?units=metric

It shows the Earth such that it appears that the axis of rotation is going from the bottom-right to the lop-left. Since Webb is moving away from the Sun, this would mean that the northern hemisphere dips toward the ecliptic on the sunny side, and not the night side, which would indicate summer for the northern hemisphere - and of course, the Webb launch & Lagrangian Point insertion is taking place in the winter.

What am I missing here?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
It shows the Earth such that it appears that the axis of rotation is going from the bottom-right to the lop-left.
This?
1642368245575.png

Are you inferring that this is intended to depict an accurate tilt?
If so, surely they would have depicted the axis explicitly.It's a fixed graphical icon - a 128x128 gif,
and it's resized and used elsewhere:

1642368704996.png

Last edited:
Likes Motore
Astute observation, but...

One thing to note is that the horizontal axis does not represent distance. It's meant to represent time.

So it doesn't make sense to think of the graphics as representing a snapshot of Earth + L2 point as viewed as its tangential orbit around the Sun. That's not what it's meant to convey.

It's just time: The time it takes for JWST to reach L2 insertion: Starting from the time of launch and ending at the time of L2 insertion.

So the graphics? They don't mean anything spatially. Their orientations don't matter since they don't represent anything outside of event times.

--------
Edit: Oops, I see now that there is a button that can be pressed such that the horizontal axis is changed to represent distance, rather than time.

Still, this distance is the scalar distance of the JWST in between the Earth and the L2 insertion point. Even in this case, it's not meant to be a snapshot of Earth and L2 point as seen from tangential perspective. Rather it's just a measure of scalar distance between the start and end (i.e., it's not meant to represent JWST's actual trajectory).

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
One thing to note is that the horizontal axis does not represent distance.
Well, unless you want it to.

1642393234243.png
collinsmark said:
they don't represent anything outside of event times.
... or distances ...

:wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Well, unless you want it to.

View attachment 295617
... or distances ...

:wink:
Yeah, I see that now. :blushing:

Still, it's not meant to represent an actual trajectory. I agree with you that the icons, and even the horizontal axis itself, are not meant to represent anything detailed. It's just a timeline -- or distance line -- and not a snapshot of a three dimensional, spatial system.

I hypothesize the center of that Earth graphic is the spot on Earth the telescope was launched from.

Edit: well maybe North/South, but the center looks like it's on the west coast of south America and actually it was launched from the east coast.

I was under the impression it was just a simple graphical tool for our benefit and not to be analyzed too deeply.

Likes Motore
Office_Shredder said:
I hypothesize the center of that Earth graphic is the spot on Earth the telescope was launched from.

Edit: well maybe North/South, but the center looks like it's on the west coast of south America and actually it was launched from the east coast.
The horizontal line matches up with the equator as it crosses S.A.

I propose that we cannot trust it represents anything except a generic Earth.

Likes Motore
DaveC426913 said:
This?
View attachment 295595
Are you inferring that this is intended to depict an accurate tilt?
If so, surely they would have depicted the axis explicitly.It's a fixed graphical icon - a 128x128 gif,
and it's resized and used elsewhere:

View attachment 295596
Yes, that is it. I guess that now that I think about it, it is not really at any axis of tilt. And the outline of the continents is a bit sloppy (even for the pixelation).

Oh come on, it's just a simple GIF of Earth. I don't see how anyone can mistake it for something meaningful.

1. What is the purpose of NASA's Webb telescope?

The purpose of NASA's Webb telescope is to serve as the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope and to study the universe in infrared light. It will help scientists to understand the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and to search for signs of life on other planets.

2. How is the animation/graphics for NASA's Webb telescope created?

The animation and graphics for NASA's Webb telescope are created using computer software and data from the telescope's instruments. This allows scientists and engineers to visualize and simulate the telescope's movements and operations in space.

3. Are the animation/graphics for NASA's Webb telescope accurate?

Yes, the animation and graphics for NASA's Webb telescope are based on real data and are constantly updated as new information is received from the telescope. However, they are still simulations and may not be 100% accurate.

4. Can the animation/graphics for NASA's Webb telescope be used for scientific purposes?

While the animation and graphics for NASA's Webb telescope are based on real data, they are primarily used for visualization and educational purposes. The actual scientific data collected by the telescope is analyzed and interpreted separately by scientists.

5. Are there any errors in the animation/graphics for NASA's Webb telescope?

There may be minor discrepancies between the animation and the actual movements of the telescope in space, but these are usually due to simplifications made for visualization purposes. Overall, the animation and graphics for NASA's Webb telescope are considered to be accurate representations of the telescope's operations.

Back