Is the derivative of log base 3 of e^2x correct?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Jan Hill
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



y = log base 3 e^2x

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I got y' = 2e^2x divided by e^2xln3

is this right?
Sorry for the pathetic way of presenting this. I haven't been able to use the lancet program for proper ways to write mathematical stuff
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jan Hill said:

Homework Statement



y = log base 3 e^2x

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I got y' = 2e^2x divided by e^2xln3

is this right?
Sorry for the pathetic way of presenting this. I haven't been able to use the lancet program for proper ways to write mathematical stuff
So are you saying you got

[tex]y' = \frac{2e^{2x}}{e^{2x}\log 3} = \frac{2}{\log 3}[/tex]

If so, that's not correct. Show us your work so we can see where you're going astray.
 
the derivative of e^2x is itself, e^2x and then this is multiplied by 2.

so that part is 2e^2x

and the derivative of any non ln logarithm is 1/ln of the base which gives me 1/ln3

maybe the answer should be 2e^2x/ln3 ?
 
I'm sorry! You had it right the first time. (For some reason, I kept thinking there should be an x floating around.) The only thing is you could have simplified your answer to get rid of the exponentials.