Is The Iron Lady Movie Misrepresenting Margaret Thatcher?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Iron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DoggerDan
"However, [Thatcher] was never, in my experience, the half-hysterical, over-emotional, over-acting woman portrayed by Meryl Streep." - Norman Tebbit, who served in Thatcher's Cabinet.​

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-p...gues-haven-t-seen-meryl-streep-170809564.html

Yes, only the trailer is out. Having seen the http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810196208/trailer" on Yahoo! Movies, and comparing that against the loads of printed and video-taped news and programs I read and watched throughout the 1980s, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Tebbit, along with Tim Bell, who stated, "I can't be bothered to sensationalise this rubbish."

Streep's whimsical smirk after her "the pearls are non-negotiable" line is already out of character.

Frankly, this brings to mind Saturday Night Live's many portrayals of her as a dingbat, which she most certainly was/is not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that's the trouble with biographical movies, ennit?

I have the opposite reaction to the trailers for J.Edgar. It looks like they might be portraying him as more sympathetic than he ever actually was. Won't be able to tell till I actually see the movie, though.