Is the process of fusion really enough to keep stars from imploding?

In summary, scientists have observed that fusion of elements creates a powerful force that keeps stars inflated. However, they do not know for certain if this force is enough to keep stars from collapsing under their own weight.
david findley
Hi,

has it really been proven that the process of fusion is REALLY enough to keep stars from imploding under their own gravitational force?

I suspect that there might possibly be another factor involved, in keeping the stars inflated until they start to cool and hit that point of critical-mass--

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "proven"? The observations match our mathematical models pretty well. So that's about all we can do.

well, I would like to see a paper, or something, anything, that really proves (mathematically is fine,) that the process of fusion is really enough to keep the star from imploding.
...The explosive force of fusion must also be documented in its strength independent of the example of the star, as well... so the force of the process is verified as the same in both instances.

(I am wary of something like: the star requires X amount of explosive power to stay inflated , and so fusion must provide X amount of explosive force. )I mean if that is not too much to ask...

I'm not sure what you would like to see exactly since all of the math happens inside a computer, but here is a description of how it works: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~korista/starmodls.html

Also, I think you probably have the chicken and egg backwards: scientists know about fusion based on "doing" fusion on earth. Then they apply that to stars. It isn't a guessing game or circular logic.

thank you so much for directing me to that..
to avoid beting around the bush, I have this idea that a certain something in stars (nto telling you what muwahahah [...]) might exhibit anti-gravity properties, that would be conducive to a stars' inflation, until it begins to cool down and hit its critical-mass (if it is to become a black-hole.)

This anti-gravity effect would be small, but still yet measurable. If the fusion alone has not been proven to be fully sufficient to keep the star inflated, then perhaps that would be indicative of a second factor, which involved my theory of this particular substance having anti-gravity properties.

but... if the force of fusion has been calculated (I suppose it is done at the big x-ray machine in new mexico,) and all the numbers are accounted for..

then there is not much room left for my theory..

thank you again, 'russ watters'

You're putting the cart before the horse there -- before even understanding what the existing theories say and how they work, you have a vague idea that they might be wrong. That is an extremely anti-science stance that we do not support here.

1. What is the process of fusion in stars?

The process of fusion in stars is the combination of two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light, which is what gives stars their brightness and sustains their energy.

2. How does fusion prevent stars from imploding?

Fusion is the main source of energy for stars and is constantly occurring in their cores. The intense heat and pressure created by fusion counteract the force of gravity, preventing the star from collapsing in on itself.

3. Is fusion the only process that keeps stars from imploding?

No, there are other factors that also contribute to preventing stars from imploding. The most important of these is the hydrostatic equilibrium, which is the balance between the outward pressure from fusion and the inward pull of gravity.

4. Can fusion ever fail and cause a star to implode?

Yes, fusion can fail if a star runs out of fuel. This typically happens for smaller stars, which are unable to generate enough heat and pressure to sustain fusion. When this happens, the star will start to collapse in on itself, eventually becoming a white dwarf or neutron star.

5. How long can fusion sustain a star?

The lifespan of a star depends on its mass and how much fuel it has. For our sun, which is a relatively small star, fusion will sustain it for approximately 10 billion years. Larger stars with more fuel can last for millions or even billions of years longer.