Is there a deeper connection between the masses of elementary particles?

• Thread starter abreakstone
  • Start date
In summary, the masses of elementary particles are interconnected through the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. This connection explains why particles with similar properties, such as the same charge or spin, also have similar masses. Additionally, the theory of supersymmetry proposes a deeper connection between particles by suggesting that every known particle has a yet-to-be-discovered "superpartner" with a different spin, but the same mass. This deeper connection between particle masses may help us better understand the fundamental nature of our universe.
abreakstone
How did you find PF?
Bing search
I happened to run across PhysicsForums when I did a Bing search on the tau mass and found a thread concerning the Koide formula and a recent measurement by Belle.

My background is a PhD physicist specializing in high energy experimental physics, most recently with the University of Hawaii. I was a member of the BES collaboration when their measurement of the tau mass was made, published in 1996. By that time I had left academia for employment in the semiconductor equipment industry in Silicon Valley.

During that time in industry my interest in possible mass relationships among elementary particles developed and I discovered a different relationship from Koide's among the masses of the electron, muon, and tau. With Koide's endorsement, my paper was accepted in the physics archives (see arXiv:physics/0602118), but, presumably due to not being a current member of academia, the referee did not recommend my paper for publication in Physical Review D.

I retired in 2008, but remain interested in elementary particle physics, in particular in mass relationships among elementary particles. My gut feeling is that there are relationships that point to physics beyond the standard model, but, so far nobody has come up with anything really convincing from a theoretical perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome: