Is There a Massive Cloud of Smoke Over Southeast England?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
rachmaninoff
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/satpics/latest_VIS.html (EDIT: link expired, use http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051211/capt.ny11712112059.britain_explosion_ny117.jpg?x=380&y=303&sig=pQmWFumU2Aceocxgi8aLCw-- )

Anyone else notice the huge cloud of smoke over SE England? Look at the vis-satellite from earlier today - it's larger than Luxembourg!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the black cloud mean there is a lack of clouds there?
 
That's what I thought.. then I thought maybe there was a joke involved that I didn't get.. and then I saw something shiney on the ground..
 
It's probably the oil depot fire you're looking at.
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/2074902.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what I meant. You can't see it any more though, they changed the picture. It was huge - like a hundred miles wide.
 
Aha! Found a link http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051211/capt.ny11712112059.britain_explosion_ny117.jpg?x=380&y=303&sig=pQmWFumU2Aceocxgi8aLCw--" (AP picture). Compare the size with Luxembourg in the lower right corner. It makes all the oil fires in 1991 put together look insignificant.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rachmaninoff said:
Aha! Found a link http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051211/capt.ny11712112059.britain_explosion_ny117.jpg?x=380&y=303&sig=pQmWFumU2Aceocxgi8aLCw--" (AP picture). Compare the size with Luxembourg in the lower right corner. It makes all the oil fires in 1991 put together look insignificant.
This second picture's a lot better. I wasn't sure what you were talking about in the first one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the black smoke, has anyone noticed the huge yellow arrow hovering over Bristol?!? Eeek! THEY'RE HERE!