Is there a quantification of gravitational attraction at the atomic level?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CRGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
CRGordon
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What I'd like to know is has anyone figured out a system of units for gravitational attraction? I can't find anything on google. For instance, given a hydrogen atom or even just a proton, is there a quantification of how much gravitational attraction it exerts on everything else around it (I suppose at a given distance)

I'm not talking about weight here, since that changes based on the setting of the mass in question


Second questions, is there a layman's explanation of the relationship between mass (which I understand is thought to be created by higgs bosons) and the actual gravitational force being provided by mass? Does one (the higgs) cause gravity, or are both mass and gravity produced by something else and are simply correlated?

Thanx!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your second question but your first one is, just as Russ pointed out, Newton's law of gravitation.

GM1M2 / d^2

G= Gravitational constant
M1= Mass one
M2= Mass two

divided by their distance squared.
 
The Higgs field is part of the explanation for mass. Most of the mass of nucleons comes from internal energy.

Gravity is a force (proportional to mass) described by Newton's law and more precisely by general rerlativity. Current theory has no direct connection with Higgs field.
 
Just to show how weak the force of gravity is between atoms, A. J. Mallmann in an article in The Physics Teacher v 32 1994 calculated that two hydrogen atoms initially at rest and 1.0 mm apart attracted only by gravity would take 2 million years for them to "fall" to a separation of 0.5mm. Very interesting.