Is There a Reference Point for the Expansion of the Universe?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Sarthak1221
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expansion Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Sarthak1221
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I once read somewhere a long time ago (and so I am not sure if this is true, let me know if it isn't) that the universe doesn't have a center of expansion. I get it. Neither does a typical balloon. But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding. Obviously that is not the case with the universe. So how exactly is the expansion taking place? Is there nothing that can be taken as a reference point for the expansion?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sarthak1221 said:
I once read somewhere a long time ago (and so I am not sure if this is true, let me know if it isn't) that the universe doesn't have a center of expansion. I get it. Neither does a typical balloon. But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding. Obviously that is not the case with the universe. So how exactly is the expansion taking place? Is there nothing that can be taken as a reference point for the expansion?
A reference point for the expansion would imply a preferred frame of reference and there is not only zero evidence for such, there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Expansion has been beaten to death numerous times here on PF. I suggest a forum search.

I also recommend the link in my signature.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sarthak1221
Sarthak1221 said:
But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding.
No, it does not. You have to disregard any embedding of the balloon into three-dimensional space and just consider it as a two-dimensional surface. Anything outside of that surface is unphysical.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sarthak1221
@Sarthak1221 I believe that you are referencing the entire volume of the balloon when you make your statement that it has an axis of rotation. What Ordruin is referencing when he says it doesn't have such an axis is the SURFACE of the balloon, which is what has to be considered if you are using the balloon analogy. Again, I suggest the link in my signature, which will explain that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sarthak1221