Is there a symbol for indicating one vector space is a subspace of another?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SprucerMoose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Subspace Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 28K views
SprucerMoose
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I was just wondering, is there is a particular symbol to say V is a subspace of W?

I suppose V[tex]\subset[/tex]W works if I describe each (sub)space in set notation first, but I was wondering what I could use if I don't state W or V as a particular set?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on which author you read. I think most don't have a notation for it. I always use [tex]V\leq W[/tex] however...
 
My experience is that everybody agrees [tex]V \leq W[/tex] is the notation, but nobody bothers using it