Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there some particular name for this type of paintings?

  1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    I have always been fascinated by the kind of pictures linked below. Is there some particular name for this type of pictures? Googling 'christmas' took me to the linked ones.

    [PLAIN]http://www.operationlettertosanta.com/Christmas%20images/Wallpapers/blue_christmas.gif [Broken]

    I think the painter Thomas Kincaid makes these kinds of pictures too. Are these water color paintings? Please let me know.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

    The third looks like it might be a watercolor. I don't think the first is and the second is digital. The only way to tell if something is watercolor that I know of is to observe the brush strokes, which is difficult to do without viewing the painting itself rather than a photograph of it.

    If you just mean generally sentimental paintings of the type Norman Rockwell is known for and Coca Cola likes to use in ad campaigns, there's no name for the genre that I know of.
  4. Sep 23, 2010 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I think Jackson's talking about the lights (guessing from the Kinkade reference).
  5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    Gokul, what are these 'lights'?
  6. Sep 23, 2010 #5
    Yeah, I have a word for these kind of pictures - twee.
  7. Sep 23, 2010 #6


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. Sep 23, 2010 #7
    I'm not sure what aspect of the picture you are refering to. Are you looking for "Christmas Pictures", or "luminous pictures"?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook