Is there video recordings of "Feynman Lectures on physics"?

In summary: It's a website maintained by Bill Gates and it has a number of videos of Feynman, some of which are from Cornell.
Ahmed Abdullah
I have the books and audios. But I have yet to find the videos. I am wondering whether they exist.

Likes physicsL3arner
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Abdullah said:
I have the books and audios. But I have yet to find the videos. I am wondering whether they exist.

Feynman's 1961-64 undergraduate lectures, which became the basis of FLP, were tape-recorded and photographed only - they were never filmed or videotaped . However, in 1964 Feynman delivered a series of lectures at Cornell, his seven "Messenger Lectures," drawing largely from material he presented in his 1961-62 freshmen lectures, so they are similar to some of those, and these were filmed by the BBC. You can now watch them free online, courtesy of Bill Gates: research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/.

Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics New Millennium Edition
www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu

Likes physicsL3arner and lisab
codelieb said:
Feynman's 1961-64 undergraduate lectures, which became the basis of FLP, were tape-recorded and photographed only - they were never filmed or videotaped . However, in 1964 Feynman delivered a series of lectures at Cornell, his seven "Messenger Lectures," drawing largely from material he presented in his 1961-62 freshmen lectures, so they are similar to some of those, and these were filmed by the BBC. You can now watch them free online, courtesy of Bill Gates: research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/.

Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics New Millennium Edition
www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu

Thank you for the information. I have actually watched those lectures and almost all Feynman videos that I can find on the internet. I thought It would be wonderful if somehow I could collect those lectures in video format and see the man in action. Too bad, it was not videotaped.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
Too bad, it was not videotaped.
That was the technology of video recording back then. You've seen "http://www.richard-feynman.net/videos.htm" I assume?

Yes, there are video recordings of "Feynman Lectures on Physics" available. These lectures were originally recorded in the 1960s and 1970s, and have been digitized and made available online. They can be found on various platforms such as YouTube and the official Feynman Lectures website. Additionally, some universities and institutions may also have access to these videos for educational purposes. I recommend searching for the specific lecture you are interested in to find the video recording.

1. What are the "Feynman Lectures on Physics"?

The "Feynman Lectures on Physics" are a set of physics lectures given by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the early 1960s. They cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Are there video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics"?

Yes, there are video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" available. In addition to the original recordings from the 1960s, there have been newer recordings made in the 21st century by various organizations and individuals.

3. Where can I find video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics"?

Video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" can be found online on various platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, and the official Caltech website. They may also be available for purchase or rental through online retailers or streaming services.

4. Are the video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" the same as the book?

No, the video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" are not exactly the same as the book. While they cover the same topics, the lectures given in the videos may differ in some aspects, such as examples and explanations used by Feynman. However, both the videos and the book are considered valuable resources for learning physics.

5. Can the video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" be used as a substitute for attending the lectures in person?

No, the video recordings of the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" should not be seen as a substitute for attending the lectures in person. While the videos provide valuable insights and explanations from Feynman himself, they do not offer the same level of interaction and engagement as attending the lectures in person. Additionally, the videos may not cover all the material presented in the live lectures.