Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this in general true (about projection matrices)?

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1

td21

Gold Member

$$A$$ is a hermitian matrix with eigenvalues +1 and -1. Let $$\left|+\right>$$ and $$\left|-\right>$$ be the eigenvector of $$A$$ with respect to eigenvalue +1 and eigenvalue -1 respectively.
    Therefore, $$P_{+} = \left|+\right>\left<+\right|$$ is the projection matrix with respect to eigenvalue +1. $$P_{-} = \left|-\right>\left<-\right|$$ is the projection matrix with respect to eigenvalue -1.

We all know that $$A = P_{+} + (-1)P_{-}$$. But is $$I = P_{+} + P_{-}$$ true? $$I$$ is the identity matrix.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It is the identity matrix in context of the vector space spanned by ## \left|+\right>## and ## \left|-\right>##.

Why do I weasel? Because you can probably find vectors that are orthogonal to ## \left|+\right>## and ## \left|-\right>##, and it would be surprising if you applied the identity matrix to a vector and got zero. So ##P_+ + P_-## is only the identity matrix with respect to the appropriate vector space.

How do you prove it? You apply ##I## to an arbitrary combination of ##x\left|+\right> + y\left|-\right>## and see what you get. And you determine what is the square of ##I##.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the eigenvectors ## | + \rangle ## and ## | - \rangle ## form a basis of the underlying vector space, then yes. Because then, for any ## | v \rangle ##,

## (P_+ + P_-) | v \rangle = | + \rangle \langle + | v \rangle + | - \rangle \langle - | v \rangle = I | v \rangle ##.

That is, if we can expand any ket in terms of the eigenvectors, then we can write the identity as a sum of the corresponding projection operators.

Oops, DEvens beat me to it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook