Is Transparent Aluminum the Next Big Breakthrough in Glass Technology?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bhusebye
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum Glass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
bhusebye
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
TL;DR
Just saw the link on PhysOrg about this subject. Reminds me of something..... Star Trekish
Engineering news on Phys.org
More accurate to say sapphire than just aluminum. That’s like calling water “oxygen”, which every drowning victim will tell you, it ain’t.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara, Dr_Nate, anorlunda and 1 other person
The closest thing to transparent aluminium that I've read about is Aluminum oxynitride . I think they use it for armoured vehicles in the military. Not sure how bendable it is though...but I think it proves that science fiction is a predicter of the future. Somewhere somebody is working on that last sci fi thing you saw in that one movie.