Is Virginia Tech a Strong Choice for Aspiring Astrophysics and Cosmology Majors?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter drcne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
drcne
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
So I have already committed to going to Virginia Tech. I have focused my whole associate degree in mechanical engineering around me going to Virginia Tech and studying engineering.

I am now considering majoring in physics, but with VT pretty much being my only option for schools (going to UVA means taking like 6 extra liberal arts classes that I really don't feel like taking), I feel like I am in a bad position.

I am wondering how good VT Physics is? I currently have a 3.97 in my associates of mechanical engineering and I graduate this semester, so I think I will be able to go to a very good grad school as long as I keep it up when I transfer. I just want to make sure that I'm not screwing myself over by going to VT for Physics instead of engineering.

I am interested in astrophysics and cosmology
 
Physics news on Phys.org
VT is a fine choice for Physics, and it is one of the better schools for Physics in Va and in the entire southern US. I love the location also.

I'd be happy for anyone of my own children to major in Physics or Mech E at VT. So your choice is really about your long term goals and the balance between career options and grad school paths with the undergrad degree you choose.

Graduate with a 3.97 GPA in Physics from VT, and add some research experience and good recommendation letters along the way, and I think you'll have a good shot at a number of top 20 grad schools.
 
I took many courses in Physics, Aerospace Engineering, and Electrical Engineering throughout the 1980's -1990's. VT is a very good university for Physics, and Engineering. It has a good reputation. It will be a physics training for any grad school in the country, (psb world) if you desire further education.