Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Isomorphism between a linear space and its dual

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been trying to prove the following theorem, for a finite dimensional vector space ## X ## and its dual ## X^* ##:

Let ## f:X\rightarrow X^* ## be given by ## f(x) = (x|\cdot) ##, where ## (x|\cdot) ## is linear in the first argument and conjugate linear in the second (so I am using the mathematicians' convention here). Then ## f ## is bijective if and only if [## (y|x)=0 ## for all ## x \in X ## implies that ## y = 0 ##].

I have been able to show the "only if" part - that ## f ## being bijective implies the statement about the inner product. For the "if" part of the proof (where we assume that [## (y|x)=0 ## for every ## x \in X ## implies ## y = 0 ##] and prove that ## f ## is bijective), I am able to prove that ## f ## is injective, but I am running into a problem in proving that ## f ## is surjective. Here is my attempt:

Let ##x^*## be an arbitrary linear functional in ## X^*##. Because the space ## X ## is finite dimensional, we may choose an orthonormal basis ## \{e_i\}_{i=1}^n ## and write an arbitrary vector in ## X ## as ## x = \sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i e_i ##. Then we have ## x^*(x) = x^*(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i e_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i x^*(e_i) ##. Now we need to find a ## y \in X ## such that ## f(y) = x^*##, i.e., such that ## (y|x) = x^*(x) ## for all ## x \in X ##. For any ## y \in X ## we can write ## y = \sum_{j=1}^{n} y_j e_j ##, so maybe choosing the ## y_j ## appropriately will do the job. We have ## (y|x) = (\sum_{j=1}^{n} y_j e_j | \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i e_i) = \sum_{j} \sum_{i} y_j \overline{x}_i (e_j|e_i) = \sum_{i} y_i \overline{x}_i ##. The problem is that I want this to equal ## x^*(x) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i x^*(e_i) ##, but the former expression involves ## \overline{x}_i ## while the latter involves ## x_i ##. If I had used the physicists' convention and made the inner product conjugate linear in the first argument instead, this problem would not have occurred. But it seems strange that a theorem like this would be dependent upon a convention like that. Any insights?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the problem that in ##(y|x) = x^*(x)##, the LHS is conjugate linear in x, while the RHS is linear in x?

In other words, shouldn't f be defined as ##f(x) = (\cdot|x)##?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    Another is by saying ##X## and ##X^*## have the same dimension.

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@Samy_A: That makes sense - it means I would need to make a correction in the book I am reading, though (Analysis, Manifolds, and Physics, Choquet-Bruhat).

@micromass: Do you mean I was wrongfully assuming that ## X ## and ## X^* ## have the same dimension? I thought that all I had assumed is that the action of ## x^* ## is completely determined by its effect on the basis vectors of ## X ##. Did I sneak something else in without realizing it?

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5
    No, it's correct. In finite dimensions, ##X## and ##X^*## have the same dimension. But once you know that, the proof is done. See the alternative theorem. This says that a linear map between two spaces of the same finite dimension is an isomorphism iff it is surjective iff it is injective.

7. Mar 27, 2016 #6

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah - I understand! Thanks :-D

8. Mar 27, 2016 #7
    If you're interested in quantum mechanics or functional analysis, you probably will want to think about how much this result generalizes to infinite dimensions...

9. Mar 28, 2016 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you assuming a default inner product defined?

10. Mar 28, 2016 #9

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think so? I am defining a sequilinear mapping ## X \times X \rightarrow \mathbb{C} ## such that ## (x,y) \mapsto (x|y) ##, where

## (x|y) = \overline{(y|x)} ##, and
    ## (\alpha x + \beta y|z) = \alpha(x|z) + \beta(y|z) ##.

I ended up just writing a note in the margin pointing out that ## (x|\cdot) \in X^* ## if one uses the physics convention; otherwise, we have ## (\cdot|x) \in X^* ## as Samy_A suggested.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted