Issues entering a spacetime in GRTensor II

In summary: The person is trying to enter a space time with the GRTensor II software. The software does not allow the user to enter their own input. The person has tried following the example in the documentation but the pop up windows do not stop.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm trying to enter a spacetime with makeg(spacetime_name): on GRTensor II. I'm just following the simple example in the documentation, but instead of doing what it's supposed to (e.g presenting me with text offering me certain options and then me selecting say option 1-4) and presenting me with options through the command window in Maple it just keeps spitting empty pop up dialogue boxes at me to enter input in with no text specifying what the options are.

I've tried just entering the options from the example in the documentation but the pop up windows don't cease, it just continues spitting another empty box after another.

Anyone know what is going on here? It would save me a tonne of time if I could get this working. It seems to work fine for all the predefined metrics, I just can't enter my own.

It's a windows PC by the way, and Maple 13.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one else have these issues? I would have thought this would be a pretty common things to do with GR Tensor, I know it doesn't officially support this version of Maple but still...

I haven't had those issues - but I use a very old version of Maple.

Old thread, but still have the same issues...does anyone out there know how use makeg() with the newer versions of Maple without getting the blank popup boxes only?

As I recall I never got the initialization scripts to work right - I manually execute the files that are supposed to auto-run. I'd start by trying to manually run the initialization scripts and see if that helps.

It's the file that looks the text below -it defined the grtw proc, among other things.

libname:=`C:/Grtii/Lib`, libname:

grtw := proc()

Thanks for the reply.

In the end I sent an email off to them and apparently it's been a long term issue that they're hoping to sort out. They suggested I just enter new metrics using a text editor (following the format of the predefined metrics), which I am actually finding easier than I ever did to use makeg() anyway, so I think I will stick to that...

1. What is GRTensor II?

GRTensor II is a computer software package used for creating and analyzing solutions to Einstein's field equations, which describe the effects of gravity on the fabric of spacetime.

2. How does GRTensor II handle issues entering a spacetime?

GRTensor II uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve the field equations and model the behavior of spacetime. This includes accounting for any issues or disruptions that may occur when entering a particular spacetime.

3. Can GRTensor II accurately model all types of spacetimes?

GRTensor II is designed to handle a wide range of spacetimes, including those with complex geometries and sources of gravitational fields. However, it may not be able to accurately model extreme cases, such as black holes, where other factors need to be considered.

4. Is GRTensor II user-friendly for beginners?

GRTensor II is a specialized software program that requires some knowledge of general relativity and numerical methods. While it may be challenging for beginners, there are resources available to help users learn how to use the program effectively.

5. Can GRTensor II be used for research purposes?

Yes, GRTensor II is commonly used by scientists and researchers for studying and analyzing various spacetime solutions in the field of general relativity. Its capabilities and accuracy make it a valuable tool for conducting research in this area.