Jeopardy question off the charts

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
39 replies · 3K views
Me. "How many times has chatgpt been asked the jeopardy anagram question? One is a procedure foundational to Computer Science, the other was made in large part obsolete by computers."

ChatGPT. GOT IT WRONG, then;
"As for how many times this specific anagram question has been asked to ChatGPT, I don’t have exact numbers on how frequently specific questions are asked. However, it's a fairly well-known question due to its connection to classic knowledge in computer science and historical numeracy."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I just realised the significance of my answer to the Jeopardy question which was;

AND
DNA

"And" being a logical procedure and DNA representing the organic beings becoming redundant. How Freudian is that?
 
Final Jeopardy questions are much harder than they used to be. So much so that sometimes the winning move is to bet zipkis and hope the others botch it. Sometimes they seem nearly impossible to answer correctly. My success rate these days is under 50 percent even for categories I'm very familiar with. I might bet zero no matter what.
 
Wow. I had totally forgotten I had started this thread.



One thing I so wish they would do is post the name of the category on the screen with the clue.
The category is critical to figuring out the answer, but if I can't see it, I can't use it.
 
I'm late getting in on this thread. But I have to speak:

Logarithms are not obsolete.

Engineers who deal with the physical layers of WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular networks, cable modems, or basically anything over the air, or even anything cabled over long distances, deals with logarithms in the form of decibels. All the time. 'Like every frickin day, all the time. Get two or more engineers in this field talking, and the most frequent word spoken between them just might be "dB" (pronounced dee bee).

Digital circuits in the device(s) responsible for these types of communication (possibly implemented by a DSP) also work in logarithms.

So if you have a computer, and that computer communicates with something outside of itself wirelessly or through a cable modem, etc., there's part of that computer system that uses logarithms. The hardware based automatic gain control (AGC) algorithms (combined with their corresponding physical circuits) are almost assuredly logarithmic based.

Sorry if this is kinda necro-posting.
 
Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Logarithms are not obsolete.
As was already stated, 'logarithms' was also a shortcut for a printed logarithm table, not just the mathematical operation.
 
A.T. said:
As was already stated, 'logarithms' was also a shortcut for a printed logarithm table, not just the mathematical operation.
I was lucky enough to find a leather-bound and marbled copy from 1841 of the :
Table of THE LOGARITHMS of the Natural numbers, from 1 to 108000.
By CHARLES BABBAGE, Esq., MA. F.R.S.L. AND E. HON. M.R.I.A. F.R.A.S. F.C.P.S. ACAD. DIJON, ACAD. MARS., SOC. PHILOMATH. PAR., REG. ACAD. BRUX., IMP. ET REG. ACAD. MOD., IMP. ET REG. ACAD. GEORG. FIORENT., IMP. ET REG. ACAD. PAD., IMP. ET REG. ACAD. PETROP., REG. ACAD. NEAP., ET ACAD. LYNC. ROM. S0C. CORR., S0C. PHYS. ET HIST. NAT. GEN. SOC. HON., ACAD. AMERIC, REG. ACAD. PANOR., REG. ACAD. HAFNIAE, REG. ACAD. MONACH. SOCIUS, &c.

If anyone wants to check their calculator, or wind back the history of computation, there are copies available on the web. https://z-library.sk/s/babbage logarithms
 
A.T. said:
As was already stated, 'logarithms' was also a shortcut for a printed logarithm table, not just the mathematical operation.
Came here to say this (again).