Jim Lehrer Passes: Honoring PBS Newshour's Brilliant Journalist

  • Thread starter Thread starter Klystron
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Klystron
Gold Member
Messages
1,264
Reaction score
1,980
Public Broadcasting correspondent Jim Lehrer died today. Here is the obit on the Washington Post. (Apologies if behind a paywall).

Lehrer provided a laid back, honest rendition of world news on PBS Newshour. His gentle persuasive style belied his experience as a US marine corp officer and brilliant presidential debate monitor back when debates exposed candidates' ideas. His novels express a city editor's eye for truth underlying American myths. On a personal note as a war veteran I always felt a strong connection to Jim Lehrer's reporting; his honesty, clarity and obvious intelligence. Jim will be missed.

Edit: Here is his obituary from the New York Times.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StatGuy2000, Astronuc, Adesh and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Sad to see.

These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'. TV news, as weak as it was in the 1990's, is not much more than Facebook these days, and may have less accurate facts.

McNeill/Lehrer were a cut above, and obviously had wide credibility.

Hopefully someone fills the void.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, gmax137, gleem and 1 other person
ChemAir said:
These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'...

A family friend worked at CBS news back in the 50's through the 70's. Those guys viewed their work as sacred.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir, Klystron and Astronuc
ChemAir said:
Sad to see.

These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'. TV news, as weak as it was in the 1990's, is not much more than Facebook these days, and may have less accurate facts.

McNeill/Lehrer were a cut above, and obviously had wide credibility.

Hopefully someone fills the void.

The PBS Newshour even after Lehrer's retirement still continues to maintain high standards, so I feel that they will continue to maintain solid work.

In terms of strong news reporting these days, I don't rely on any single news source. I primarily look at the following combination of news online:

1. BBC World News
2. Al Jazeera English
3. PBS Newshour (website)
4. Associated Press website
5. CBC News (for Canadian news)
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir and Klystron
I had been a long-time viewer of the Newshour during the Lehrer's tenure there (by the time I started the Newshour on PBS, Robert MacNeill had left his position as co-anchor), and have long appreciated his professionalism and the overall quality of the Newshour's news and analysis.

He will be missed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
No obituary of Jim Lehrer would be complete without mentioning his dedication to feminism and promoting women to equal positions. Here is Judy Woodruff's viewpoint, Washington reporter and now anchor at PBS Newshour. The "young reporter with cancer" may refer to her co-anchor Gwen Ifill who passed recently.

For us tech buffs Lehrer and Newshour pioneered many techniques of modern news reporting and online access to archived information he regarded as essential for a well informed citizenry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StatGuy2000