1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job outlook for a physics degree

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    Hello,

My name is John and I live in the cincinnati area in Ohio. I am a senior this year and I am going through the process of finding a college and choosing a major. Initially, I was dead set on a biochemistry degree. However, through research and looking at facts and figures the salary for this major seems quite low. However, physics has always shared a big piece of my heart. I have seen a lot of good average salaries for this field. Can anyone attest? Essentially, I just can't see a physics major getting a job in cincinnati Ohio. I need help! I have also considered engineering due to coop and high job placement. I just need some feedback.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2
    Know that most people who get physics degrees never end up in a physics field. So make sure to consider that when you are looking at statistics.

4. Aug 22, 2012 #3
    So essentially you won't even end up doing physics. What would you suggest as a major? I love biology but more specifically biochemistry. However I do not see high salaries. Furthermore, there are not nearly as many coop opportunities as engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook