Jon Huntsman: A Refreshing Choice for President

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Jon Huntsman received a high-profile endorsement from the Boston Globe in his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. The paper noted that it was a close call between Huntsman and frontrunner Mitt Romney, but ultimately chose to endorse Huntsman due to concerns about Romney's shift towards the right and lack of clarity in his campaign. Huntsman, a Mormon, has faced criticism for his religious beliefs, but is seen as a more moderate and experienced candidate with a background in both executive and foreign policy roles. Despite this, he has not gained much traction within the GOP establishment.

this guy is so well known even the title of this thread spells his name wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

mathwonk said:
This thread was started by Evo. I sense a possible temporary banning.

He is going all in for south carolina. A loss there will almost surely be fatal for his campaign.

mathwonk said:
LOL! Shows how much I know about him. :tongue2:

Evo said:
LOL! Shows how much I know about him. :tongue2:
Nobody seems to know much about him, and the media isn't real helpful in that regard. The most "damning" thing I have hear said about him is "He speaks Chinese", as if that is some kind of disqualification for the GOP nomination.

Actually, it may be a disqualifying factor, with the apparent anti-intellectualism on the right.

turbo said:
Nobody seems to know much about him, and the media isn't real helpful in that regard. The most "damning" thing I have hear said about him is "He speaks Chinese", as if that is some kind of disqualification for the GOP nomination.

The GOP don't want no one who speaks a furrener's language! Makes me wonder what they think about high school foreign language requirements.

There's a little banner at the bottom (right at the end of the clip) that says "Paid for by Newt 2012", so it appears the ad was produced and distributed by his campaign and not some outside SuperPac.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Was that ad approved by Newt Gingrich? It didn't say and these ads usually have a bit at the end that says it is. If it was approved by Newt Gingrich, then my case is closed with him!
The longer version just says "paid for by Newt Gingrich 2012".

Last edited by a moderator:
Huntsman is out.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/15/10163220-huntsman-to-drop-out-of-presidential-race-endorse-romney [Broken]

Looks like he'll endorse Romney.

I figured as much - the south, starting with South Carolina, is much to daunting after a third-place finish in New Hampshire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I really enjoyed this civil debate a few weeks ago
Yes? I watched it at the time in order to take a good look at Huntsman, as I liked his background and some of his written proposals. In this 'debate' I was disappointed, as I saw little ability to build constructive argument, and instead a got a job interview, a return again and again to a 'once upon a time I was Ambassador to China so hire me' platitudes.

That was disappointing, mheslep, and I took away about the same impression. I don't want an off-the-wall "idea-man" like Gingrich to chose from in the general election, but I'd sure like to have somebody who is not beige or taupe. Somebody that can contrast with Obama, and be rational at the same time.

<h2>1. Who is Jon Huntsman?</h2><p>Jon Huntsman is a politician and businessman who served as the 16th Governor of Utah from 2005 to 2009 and as the United States Ambassador to China from 2009 to 2011. He also ran for the Republican nomination for President in 2012.</p><h2>2. What makes Jon Huntsman a "refreshing" choice for President?</h2><p>Jon Huntsman is considered a refreshing choice for President because he has a moderate and pragmatic approach to politics, which is often seen as a contrast to the more extreme views of other candidates. He also has a strong track record of bipartisan cooperation and experience in both domestic and foreign policy.</p><h2>3. What are Jon Huntsman's key policies and stances?</h2><p>Jon Huntsman's key policies and stances include promoting economic growth through tax reform, investing in renewable energy, and reducing the national debt. He also supports comprehensive immigration reform, a strong national defense, and a more cooperative approach to foreign policy.</p><h2>4. How does Jon Huntsman's background as a businessman influence his political views?</h2><p>Jon Huntsman's background as a businessman has influenced his political views in that he prioritizes economic growth and job creation. He also has a strong understanding of international trade and has advocated for expanding trade opportunities for American businesses.</p><h2>5. What sets Jon Huntsman apart from other candidates?</h2><p>Jon Huntsman sets himself apart from other candidates with his moderate and pragmatic approach to politics, his extensive experience in both domestic and foreign policy, and his ability to work across party lines. He also has a unique background as a successful businessman and diplomat, giving him a different perspective on key issues.</p>

1. Who is Jon Huntsman?

Jon Huntsman is a politician and businessman who served as the 16th Governor of Utah from 2005 to 2009 and as the United States Ambassador to China from 2009 to 2011. He also ran for the Republican nomination for President in 2012.

2. What makes Jon Huntsman a "refreshing" choice for President?

Jon Huntsman is considered a refreshing choice for President because he has a moderate and pragmatic approach to politics, which is often seen as a contrast to the more extreme views of other candidates. He also has a strong track record of bipartisan cooperation and experience in both domestic and foreign policy.

3. What are Jon Huntsman's key policies and stances?

Jon Huntsman's key policies and stances include promoting economic growth through tax reform, investing in renewable energy, and reducing the national debt. He also supports comprehensive immigration reform, a strong national defense, and a more cooperative approach to foreign policy.

4. How does Jon Huntsman's background as a businessman influence his political views?

Jon Huntsman's background as a businessman has influenced his political views in that he prioritizes economic growth and job creation. He also has a strong understanding of international trade and has advocated for expanding trade opportunities for American businesses.

5. What sets Jon Huntsman apart from other candidates?

Jon Huntsman sets himself apart from other candidates with his moderate and pragmatic approach to politics, his extensive experience in both domestic and foreign policy, and his ability to work across party lines. He also has a unique background as a successful businessman and diplomat, giving him a different perspective on key issues.

Back