Ksp and ΔG for Ag2CO3 at 20°C and 100°C

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doobwa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem Ksp
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Doobwa
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello! I've just completed this homework problem but got ALL answers incorrect. I really thought I knew what I was doing so I'm kind of surprised. Could someone help point out what I had done wrong?

Homework Statement


Ag2CO3, is considerably more soluble in hot than in cold water. At 20 °C, 0.0032 g of this compound dissolves in 0.100 L of water, but 0.050 g dissolves at 100.0 °C. Calculate Ksp and G° in kJ/mol at each temperature.

Homework Equations


Ksp=[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]][itex]^{2}[/itex][CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]
deltaG=-RTlnKsp.
Solubility=(mass)/(volume)(molar mass)

The Attempt at a Solution


I think I went wrong with figuring out Ksp. I believe if I knew what I had done wrong here, I could easily solve the rest, so I'll just show my work for this portion.

At 20C (293.15K) 0.0032g of Ag2CO3 dissolves in 0.100L of water. Molar mass of Ag2CO3 found to be 275.75g/mol.

Solubility of Ag2CO3= (0.0032g)/(0.100L)(275.75g/mol)=1.160471442e-4M
Ag2CO3[itex]\searrow[/itex]2Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]+CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]
[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]]=2.320942884e-4M
[CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]=1.160471442e-4M

Ksp=[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]][itex]^{2}[/itex][CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]
=(2.320942884e-4)[itex]^{2}[/itex](1.160471442e-4)
=6.25e-12

Actual answer: 2.77e-11

I really appreciate any guidance you can give me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with your working. For comparison I referred to a very similar exercise here: http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/equilibrium/solubility_products.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator: