Last US sardine cannery closing after 135 years

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 8K views
Moonbear said:
Does that mean no smoked kipper snacks either? They're herring too. I'll be very sad if I can't get those anymore. I'll have to go clean off the store shelves this weekend if I'm not too late and stockpile some. I love putting them on crackers as a snack, or even a meal. :frown:
Now, that would be very sad. Kipper snacks are a big comfort food. We couldn't afford to have them too often, but they were a favorite treat when I was a kid. Kipper snacks with a bit of mustard or horseradish on a piece of biscuit or yeast bread... heaven.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Does that mean no smoked kipper snacks either? They're herring too. I'll be very sad if I can't get those anymore. I'll have to go clean off the store shelves this weekend if I'm not too late and stockpile some. I love putting them on crackers as a snack, or even a meal. :frown:

Don't weat it, Kippers are in demand in the UK, and are still very popular in the USA. Tinned sardines alas... people simply do not appreciate anymore.