LaTeX works on math Forums but not others. Does it work for you here?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Keith_McClary
  • Start date
In summary, when you post in a thread with LaTeX, the preview function doesn't work. You need to write some random LaTeX in the reply box and make sure the draft is saved before refreshing the page. The workaround is to do the following: write some random LaTeX in the reply box, make sure the draft is saved (green dot adjacent to floppy icon; or save it by clicking on the floppy icon → Save draft), refresh the page, and then hit preview. LaTeX will be rendered normally. Delete what you had written earlier and start typing what you want.
Keith_McClary
When I click Preview i just see the source for this:

##\omega##

[itex]\omega[/itex]

Edit: OK, when I actually post it , it works!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a known issue with the preview function if there is no earlier post with LaTeX in the thread - it doesn't load the parser in that case. It works the same in all forums, but math threads are more likely to have formulas in earlier posts.

• Love
Likes PeroK and Keith_McClary
Yeah, I posted about this issue about two months time back, and as mfb has said, it is due to the lazy-loading of MathJax. The workaround is to do the following:

Case 1: If you are replying to a thread that does not have LaTeX before your post in the page:

1. Write some random LaTeX in the reply box, like ##a## test.
2. Make sure the draft is saved (green dot adjacent to floppy icon; or save it by clicking on the floppy icon → Save draft).
3. Refresh the page.
4. Now, hit preview. LaTeX will be rendered normally. Delete what you had written earlier and start typing what you want.

Case 2: If you are creating a new thread:

1. LaTeX will obviously not be loaded. Write some random LaTeX code.
2. Save the draft.
3. Refresh the page.
4. Now, you will see that LaTeX has rendered in the message box. Delete the rendered LaTeX and start typing what you want. Preview will now work.

Note that in case 2, if you type something and then refresh the page, or save the draft, leave the page and come back later, LaTeX will always get rendered in the box, so whatever you have written will become gibberish, especially if you have fractions, integrals, differentiation operators, etc. This is a bug. If you are starting a new thread, it is probably better to write it out somewhere else and then copy and paste here.

Maybe Greg can keep the LaTeX to load lazily, but design a button somewhere on each page that will be displayed only if the MathJax resource is not loaded on that page. Clicking that button will load LaTeX for that user, and it will stay until the user refreshes the page.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Wrichik Basu said:
Maybe Greg can keep the LaTeX to load lazily, but design a button somewhere on each page that will be displayed only if the MathJax resource is not loaded on that page. Clicking that button will load LaTeX for that user, and it will stay until the user refreshes the page.
Yeah I need to have it dynamically add once the preview button is pushed.

Likes Keith_McClary and Wrichik Basu

1. Why does LaTeX work on math forums but not on other websites?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in mathematics and science to display equations and symbols. Many math forums have specific plugins or coding that allow for LaTeX formatting, while other websites may not have this feature enabled.

2. How do I enable LaTeX on other websites?

If you are using a website or platform that does not have LaTeX enabled, you may need to use an external tool or plugin to display your equations. Some popular options include MathJax, KaTeX, and CodeCogs.

3. Can I use LaTeX on social media platforms?

It depends on the platform. Some social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, do not support LaTeX formatting. However, there are workarounds, such as using images or external tools, that allow for displaying equations on these platforms.

4. Is there a learning curve for using LaTeX?

Yes, like any language or coding system, LaTeX does have a learning curve. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn the basics and become proficient in using LaTeX for mathematical equations.

5. Can I use LaTeX for non-mathematical subjects?

While LaTeX is primarily used for math and science subjects, it can also be used for other subjects, such as linguistics, economics, and computer science. However, it may not be the best tool for every subject, so it's important to consider the specific needs of your project before using LaTeX.