Lennard-Jones potential derivative error on Italian Wikipedia

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter eneacasucci
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lennard-jones
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
eneacasucci
Messages
69
Reaction score
18
I found this image on the wikipedia italian page for the Lennard-Jones potential and I think the derivative displayed are wrong: not only in that reange (below r_eq) the negative derivative of the force should be negative and vice versa, but also the physcal meaning is that F(r) = - \frac{dU(r)}{dr} so I think that this is the derivative that should be displayed.
1755558802427.webp
 
Physics news on Phys.org
eneacasucci said:
I found this image on the wikipedia italian page for the Lennard-Jones potential and I think the derivative displayed are wrong: not only in that reange (below r_eq) the negative derivative of the force should be negative and vice versa, but also the physcal meaning is that F(r) = - \frac{dU(r)}{dr} so I think that this is the derivative that should be displayed.
View attachment 364615
I agree.

It would appear that ##- \frac {\partial F}{\partial r}## should be ##- \frac{dU} {dr} ##, which is the force, ##F(r)##.

(Since ##U(r)## is a function of ##r## only, I don’t think a partial derivative is appropriate.)

When ##F(r)>0## (for ##r<r_0##) we have repulsion.
When ##F(r)<0 ## (for ##r>r_0##) we have attraction.