Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order

Tags:
  1. Dec 21, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The nuts just keep getting nuttier.

"Attorneys for television talk show host David Letterman want a judge to quash a restraining order granted to a Santa Fe woman who contends the celebrity used code words to show that he wanted to marry her and train her as his co-host."

"Nestler's application for a restraining order was accompanied by a six-page typed letter in which she said Letterman used code words, gestures and "eye expressions" to convey his desires for her.

She wrote that she began sending Letterman "thoughts of love" after his show began in 1993, and that he responded in code words and gestures, asking her to come East.

She said he asked her to be his wife during a televised "teaser" for his show by saying, "Marry me, Oprah." Her letter said Oprah was the first of many code names for her, and that the coded vocabulary increased and changed with time."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/21/ap/entertainment/mainD8EKP1JG3.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2
    Oh man. I'm so glad to hear that. All this time I thought he was coming on to me!

4. Dec 21, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw this on another site and had to wonder if the judge is nuttier than she is to have granted the restraining order. It sounds more like Letterman should have the restraining order against her rather than the other way around. She's obviously delusional.

5. Dec 21, 2005 #4
    She wants:

She lives in New Mexico, which is quite a long way from New York, and wants to make sure he stays at least three yards away?

6. Dec 21, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if that includes the TV? What if she's only sitting a yard from the TV and the Late Night show comes on? :rofl: What judge allows a restraining order that requires someone not think about someone else? How exactly were they planning on enforcing that one?

7. Dec 21, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who cares...

I think evo is starving for attention.

8. Dec 21, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Bloody hell! This is very close to being the stupidest thing that I've ever heard of in my life. :bugeye:

9. Dec 21, 2005 #8
    I care..................if dave goes down what will happen to team Rahal-Letterman!? Think of Danika! Uh oh, just as im posting this I hear fire trucks going down my street. I think santa is back just on time! AWE man thats awesome! His firetruck was retro, circa 60's. It had trim of red x-mas lights along the bottom of the truck, and said "merry Christmas" with lights on the grille. Santa was sitting in the middle of the truck waiving. Awesome.....HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA yes, hes the MAN

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  10. Dec 21, 2005 #9
    They did a good job of depicting this dynamic of delusion in A Beautiful Mind in the scenes where John Nash is "figuring out" the changes and permutations of the "code" he imagined he saw in random newspaper clippings.

Once you are convinced someone is talking in code, or things are written in code, then to maintain that belief you have to account for the places you can plainly see that idea just doesn't hold water, by asserting that the code is constantly changing.

I once met a guy who was recovering pretty well from a psychotic episode during which he believed that the writing on the sides of trucks carried a deeper level of symbolism that was apparent at first. The higher up on a truck a company put it's name, the more clout that company had, the more powerful it was. The style of lettering had some signifigance, too, as well as the size of the lettering. He had it all worked out. None of this was merely stylistic, in his mind.

11. Dec 21, 2005 #10
    What's "team Rahal-Letterman?" Whose "Danika"?

12. Dec 21, 2005 #11
    "Train her as his cohost..."? How arrogant! This is nuttier than a brazil nut in carnival time.

13. Dec 21, 2005 #12
  14. Dec 21, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Evo<-----takes out restraining order against Pengwuino for thinking and making unseen eye movements. :grumpy:

15. Dec 21, 2005 #14
    I hope everyone realizes who the real crazy person is here:

"A state judge granted a temporary restraining order to Colleen Nestler, who alleged in a request filed last Thursday that Letterman has forced her to go bankrupt and caused her "mental cruelty" and "sleep deprivation" since May 1994."

16. Dec 21, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See my post #3. :biggrin:

17. Dec 21, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

That did not escape my attention. I just didn't bother mentioning it because it seems as if any judge who makes it onto the news is insane.

18. Dec 21, 2005 #17
    I can't read any post # 3 in any thread because I have not yet been able to crack the #3 code.

19. Dec 21, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Oh, #3 just means I'm secretly flirting with you. That's an easy one. :biggrin:

20. Dec 21, 2005 #19

JamesU

Gold Member

Has anyone noticed that when a Pound sign (#) appears in a quote, it's different?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one's old, from the PF with no cool skin

21. Dec 21, 2005 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Greg is trying to send you a code. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?