Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Libyan tweets saying Gaddafi is out!

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/unconfirmed-tweets-gaddafi-left-libya-breaking-162251846.html

Our beloved Hershey Kiss has melted away!

EDIT: Wow. Another tweet claims he's been shot.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    Another says his son is captured.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not a tweeter, so I don't have access to your feed.

I watch http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/" when I want to know what's going on in the Middle East.

Though it has been quite a while since I've watched. There has been a bit too much going on everywhere for me to keep up with everything.

What a Tornado of a world we live in!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    The news link just posted a copy of the tweets. One of the tweeters is Malik Al-Abdeh, Chief Editor of the Syrian pro-democracy channel "Barada TV," for whatever that's worth.

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
  7. Aug 23, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1030-02.jpg

Hang on George; not yet but almost!

It seems the rebels have control of Gadhafi's compound.

8. Aug 23, 2011 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, that one seems to be confirmed but earlier they were saying they had 2 of his sons, now they have none and there doesn't seem to be any proof that they ever had even one --- they MAY have, of course, but their credibility is now highly doubtful.

9. Aug 23, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fog of war. But there is no doubt they have control of the compound and most of Tripoli, and that means Gadhafi is on the run or in hiding. They don't need credibility for us to know that.

People were walking out of the compound with gold-plated automatic weapons - clearly Gadhafi's private stash. And not only what must have been his private stash of weapons, they had clearly siezed control of plenty of heavy weapons and light arms all intended for defense of the compound. There is no doubt about that either.

It was reported that they found tea pots still on their lit burners, in Gadhafi's area.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  10. Aug 23, 2011 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Agreed. The blood shedding may not be over but we're in the end game. I say "we" awfullly loosely here, since THEY are the ones doing the work and taking the risk. I can say "we" because what THEY are doing is good for all humanity.

11. Aug 23, 2011 #10
    Any word of the 40 virgin bodyguards?

12. Aug 23, 2011 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect they're on their way back home to Upper Slnevflsodlkinvistan or wherever, figuring that if they hang around they might not stay virgins :smile:

13. Aug 23, 2011 #12
  14. Aug 23, 2011 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So, newai, it come as a surprise to you to find out that Chavez is a fruitcake?

15. Aug 23, 2011 #14
    No, it doesn't.

16. Aug 23, 2011 #15
    it's not surprising at all guys. chavez nationalized venezuela's oil. that actually makes good economic sense for venezuela, and not so great for foreign oil companies that want to exploit it. gaddafi also spoke of such things in public, not much before he ran into his current string of bad luck. so yes, there are a lot of interesting parallels between venezuela and libya.

17. Aug 23, 2011 #16
    A "TEA Party" was about to begin?:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook