Linear Equations - Cost per Pound of Coffee Beans

In summary, a coffee house blended 18 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans with 17 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 35 pound mixture cost $306.50. A second mixture included 19 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans and 15 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 34 pound mixture cost $298.50. Find the cost per pound of the espresso and vanilla flavored coffee beans.
AROJ
My problem is:
A coffee house blended 18 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans with 17 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 35 pound mixture cost \$306.50. A second mixture included 19 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans and 15 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 34 pound mixture cost \$298.50. Find the cost per pound of the espresso and vanilla flavored coffee beans

So I know,

18E+17V=306.50
19E+15V=298.50

What next?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AROJ said:
My problem is:
A coffee house blended 18 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans with 17 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 35 pound mixture cost \$306.50. A second mixture included 19 pounds of espresso flavored coffee beans and 15 pounds of vanilla flavored coffee beans. The 34 pound mixture cost \$298.50. Find the cost per pound of the espresso and vanilla flavored coffee beans

So I know,

18E+17V=306.50 ... (1)
19E+15V=298.50 ... (2)

What next?

where (1) and (2) are the equations in question

You have two equations and two unknowns so you can solve using simultaneous equations. You can either do this by elimination or substitution. In this case I would use the latter. To do this make E or V the subject of an equation and substitute it's value for E or V in the other equation. In this case...

\(\displaystyle 18E + 17V = 306.50 \)

\(\displaystyle V = \dfrac{306.50-18E}{17}\)

You can now sub \(\displaystyle \dfrac{306.50-18E}{17}\) for V in (2)

\(\displaystyle 19E + 15 \left(\dfrac{306.50-18E}{17}\right) = 298.50\)

This gives an equation in E only which means you can find E and hence V

I did a few things here...I put a backslash in front of the dollar signs to that they would not be parsed as $\LaTeX$ tags, I edited your first equation so that the leading coefficient is 18, and I moved your post to its own thread. We prefer that new questions be posted in their own thread. This is less confusing and ensures that you get prompt help.

I see you have already gotten help with the problem, so I will leave you in the expert hands of SuperSonic4. :D

Another way: starting from the equations
18E+ 17V= 306.50
19E+ 15V= 298.50

Multiply the first equation by 15 (the coefficient of V in the second equation) and multiply the second equation by 17 (the coefficient of V in the first equation) to get
270E+ 255V= 4597.5
323E+ 255V= 5074.5

Now, the two equations have the same coefficient for V and subtracting the first equation from the second eliminates V: 53E= 477 so that E= 477/53. Now put that back into either of the original equations to get a single equation for V.

To find the cost per pound of the espresso and vanilla flavored coffee beans, we can set up a system of linear equations.

Let E be the cost per pound of espresso flavored coffee beans and V be the cost per pound of vanilla flavored coffee beans.

From the given information, we can write the following equations:

18E + 17V = 306.50
19E + 15V = 298.50

To solve this system, we can use the method of substitution. From the first equation, we can rearrange it to get:

E = (306.50 - 17V)/18

We can then substitute this value of E into the second equation:

19[(306.50 - 17V)/18] + 15V = 298.50

Simplifying this equation, we get:

306.50 - 17V + 15V = 298.50
-2V = -8
V = 4

Now, we can substitute this value of V into the first equation to find the value of E:

18E + 17(4) = 306.50
18E = 306.50 - 68
18E = 238.50
E = 13.25

Therefore, the cost per pound of espresso flavored coffee beans is \$13.25 and the cost per pound of vanilla flavored coffee beans is \$4. We can double check this by substituting these values into the original equations:

18(13.25) + 17(4) = 306.50
19(13.25) + 15(4) = 298.50

Both equations hold true, so our solution is correct. The cost per pound of espresso and vanilla flavored coffee beans is \$13.25 and \$4, respectively.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic expression that contains two variables and can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. It represents a straight line on a graph.

2. How is a linear equation used in calculating cost per pound of coffee beans?

A linear equation can be used to represent the relationship between the cost of coffee beans (y) and the number of pounds purchased (x). By plotting this equation on a graph, we can determine the cost per pound of coffee beans by finding the slope of the line.

3. What are some real-life applications of linear equations?

Linear equations are used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating cost per unit, determining the rate of change in a business, and predicting future sales or expenses. In the case of cost per pound of coffee beans, a linear equation can help coffee shop owners make decisions about pricing and purchasing.

4. How can I solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once you have isolated the variable, you can plug in values for the other variable to find the corresponding value.

5. Can a linear equation be used to accurately predict future prices of coffee beans?

While a linear equation can give us an idea of the relationship between cost and quantity, it may not always accurately predict future prices. Factors such as market trends, supply and demand, and economic conditions can all impact the cost of coffee beans. However, a linear equation can be a helpful tool in making informed decisions about pricing and purchasing.