Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear operators, eigenvalues, diagonal matrices

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    So I have a couple of questions in regards to linear operators and their eigenvalues and how it relates to their matrices with respect to some basis.

For example, I want to show that given a linear operator T such that [tex]T(x_1,x_2,x_3) = (3x_3, 2x_2, x_1)[/tex] then T can be represented by a diagonal matrix with respect to some basis of [tex]V = \mathbb{R}^3[/tex].

So one approach is to use a theorem that says: If T has dim(V) distinct eigenvalues, then T has a diagonal matrix with respect to some basis V.

So we simply look for the solutions of: [tex]\lambda x_1 = 3 x_3[/tex], [tex]\lambda x_2 = 2 x_2[/tex], [tex]\lambda x_3 = x_1[/tex]

So we find that [tex]\lambda = 2, \pm \sqrt 3[/tex] with some corresponding eigenvectors.So we use the theorem and finish off the question.

So finally, my problem with all this. The matrix of T with respect to the standard basis {(0,0,1), (0,1,0),(1,0,0)} (purposely out of order) would be:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

which is diagonal right? But I have a theorem that says that the eigenvalues of T with respect to a uppertriangular matrix "consist precisely of the entries on the diagonal of that upper-triangular matrix".

But I didn't find 3 and 1 as eigenvalues. Is it because I switched the standard basis elements out of order? Why would that matter? And doesn't this last theorem imply that every linear operator precisely has dim V eigenvalues :S?

It was a long one but any comments are appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is wrong. If we call the basis vectors [itex]v_1,v_2,v_3[/itex] (in the order you've written them), we have for example

[tex]T_{31}=(Tv_1)_3=(3v_3)_3=3(v_3)_3=3\cdot 1=3[/tex]

The third component of [itex]v_3[/itex] in the basis you have defined is 1, not 0, because [itex]v_3=0\cdot v_1+0\cdot v_2+1\cdot v_3[/itex].

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, if you use that order in the "domain", you must also use it in the "range".
    T(0, 0, 1)= (3, 0, 0)= 0(0, 0, 1)+ 0(0, 1, 0)+ 3(1, 0, 0) so the first column will be
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    T(1, 0, 0)= (0, 0, 1)= 1(0, 0, 1)+ 0(0, 1, 0)+ 0(1, 0, 0) so the third column will be
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

In this basis, the matrix corresponding to T is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\0 & 2 & 0\\ 3 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4
    Ah what a silly mistake I forgot to write each vector as a linear combination of the basis elements.

But then I'm still confused about the whole eigenvalue issue. I know I must be misinterpreting the theorem. The elements along the diagonal are "precisely" the eigenvalues of T. Doesn't this mean that all linear operators have exactly dimV eigenvalues? (Obviously not but I don't see why..)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. Mar 10, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The elements along the main diagonal of a diagonal matrix or a "Jordan Normal form" for a non-diagonalizable matrix are the eigenvalues of the matrix but in general, it is much harder to find the eigenvalues of a matrix than just looking at the main diagonal!

It is, however, true that allowing for multiplicities and allowing complex numbers, that any n by n matrix has n eigenvalues- because its eigenvalue equation is an nth degee polynomial which can be factored into n linear factors over the complex numbers.

An n by n matrix may not have n independent eigenvectors.

7. Mar 10, 2010 #6
    Ah right. The entries along the diagonal of a upper triangular matrix need not be distinct.

So then for example: [tex]T(x_1, x_2, x_3) = (2x_1, 2x_2, 3x_3)[/tex]

We only have 2 eigenvalues here but with respect to the standard basis, we would still have a diagonal matrix just with repeated elements along the diagonal. Right?

That clears things up a lot more. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook