Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearization of nonlinear non homogenous ODE

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    Hi everybody,
    could anyone help me in the linearization of the following non linear non-homogeneous ODE?

where A, B and C are constants. y is a function of t. is it possible to reduce this equation to a Riccati equation? do you know any analytical, approximate or not, methods to solve the equation?

thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Just to be clear, is this the DE:

[tex]A \frac{dy}{dt} + By^4 = C[/tex]

If so, then note that you can easily express it as a Bernoulli differential equation and solve it directly without having to approximate it.
  4. Jun 27, 2008 #3
    the DE is right...the BERNOULLI equation is homogeneous and I actually can't tarnsform my equation in a Bernoulli one. can you suggest me how to transform it?
  5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I just had a second look at the DE and realised that there is no need to solve it as a Bernoulli DE. The original DE is separable, though the resulting integral is a little tough to integrate, but certainly doable.
  6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    i have found in literature the Chini equation, which is similar to the equation I'm trying to solve. unfortunately i can't found the solution. can everyone help me, please?
  7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Defennder has already pointed out that this equation is separable:
    [tex]/frac{Ady}{C- By^4}= dt[/tex]
    Integrate both sides, using "partial fractions" on the left.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?