Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linguists Vote 'Truthiness' Word of 2005

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am going to have to start using this word right away. :smile:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060107/ap_on_re_us/word_contest

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2

Mk

How truthy, not facty.

4. Jan 7, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

5. Jan 7, 2006 #4
    I find this whole thing to be weird and find it hard to believe authentic linguists would call "stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true" a "quality" rather than something like a behavior or activity. They're refering to an action (stating) as a "quality".

6. Jan 7, 2006 #5
    and i find it hard to believe that anyone would sit around and think about what the best word of 2005 is.

7. Jan 7, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

philosophy majors need jobs too

8. Jan 7, 2006 #7
    Don't confuse philosophy and philology.

9. Jan 7, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I didn't mean to :P I just wanted to poke fun at philosophy majors even if its somewhat unrelated.

10. Jan 7, 2006 #9
    Well, I'm all for that.

11. Jan 7, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find that a little confusing, too. Is it the statement that has truthiness or is it the person uttering the statement that has truthiness? I would have initially assumed the former, without seeing it defined, and would have used it like this:

"When the governor proclaimed that the coal miners were found alive, the statement had a truthiness about it."

but I think this example might be more likely the intended usage:

"When the governor proclaimed that the coal miners were found alive, he spoke with truthiness."

But I don't know. What do you think?

12. Jan 7, 2006 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, NONONONO. Truthiness?

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

13. Jan 7, 2006 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or maybe it is used this way:

"The truthiness of the governor was a constant annoyance to everyone."

14. Jan 7, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I haven't seen HRW around this evening. I dedided to lay out some bait. :smile:

15. Jan 7, 2006 #14
    I don't know because the definition is so imprecise.

It's not clear to me if these people invented this word themselves to describe what they saw happening, or if this word is actually being used all over the place. To vote it the "Word of the Year" it should be a word that was used especially frequently, among other things, a new fad word. However, they actually seem to be saying it best describes something that was happening alot.

It could be the article was poorly written but I can't tell if that's the problem or if the lexicographers in question are potheads.

16. Jan 8, 2006 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

The American Dialect Society says they first heard it on The Colbert Report:
    Heehee. :biggrin:
    Their definition sounded a bit strange at first, but it makes sense. -ness attaches to adjectives (truthy) to form nouns (truthiness) meaning roughly the quality, state, or condition of being [adjective]; e.g. goodness is the quality of being good. It's just fun anyway. I say better truthy than truthish. I mean, truthishness? Yikes.

There are more words in that link, BTW. I like crotchfruit (the word, not children. I despise puny things).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  17. Jan 8, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was an interesting read! Who knew this group had been around for so long - although I am a little bit annoyed by the fact that they sometimes allow phrases and even prefixes as "Word of the Year" winners. You'd think they would be sticklers about that sort of thing! They do say this:
    Anyway...some blasts from the past:

18. Jan 8, 2006 #17
    Yes I member, that's the truthiness of Saddam Hussein about the first Gulf War

19. Jan 8, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: He was quite the linguistic trendsetter that year!

In last month's Vanity Fair, "It is what it is" was proposed as the catch-phrase of the decade. I think it stands a good chance - it's certainly proved its versatility!!

http://www.vanityfair.com/commentary/content/articles/051205roco03

20. Jan 8, 2006 #19
    Eh... Fogetabawdit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?