Determining if a point P(x,y) lies inside or outside lines, triangles, and quadrilaterals

  • Thread starter Thread starter atavistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point Position
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
atavistic
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
How to locate position of a point say P(x,y) according to the following:

a) 2 lines (ax+by+c=0) and (AX+BY+C=0)(in between or outside)

b)IN the upper region or in the lower region of a line(ax+by+c=0)

c)IN the left or right region of a line(almost same as above)

d)INside a Quadilateral or not

e)INside a triangle or not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given anything to look at or is this all that is given?
 
First, I really don't understand what you're asking us... I don't see a question mark.

But, more importantly, you need to show us what you've attempted before we can begin to help you.
 
atavistic said:
How to locate position of a point say P(x,y) according to the following:

a) 2 lines (ax+by+c=0) and (AX+BY+C=0)(in between or outside)

b)IN the upper region or in the lower region of a line(ax+by+c=0)

c)IN the left or right region of a line(almost same as above)

d)INside a Quadilateral or not

e)INside a triangle or not.
Are these 4 separate conditions- 4 separate questions? What do you mean by "locate". What would you accept as the "location" of a point? What do you mean by "upper" and "lower" or "left" and "right" region of an oblique line?
 
I am just asking the theory and not an answer.I mean what results will I obtain when I put the point (x,y) in the equation of line(s).And with the result what can I know about the position of the point.