Lockdown: Authoritarian State vs Liberal Democratic State

• Thread starter kadiot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, totalitarian states are more efficient in decision making, but can degenerate because of a lack of an independent control.
kadiot
Is it easier to enforce a lockdown in an AUTHORITARIAN state than in a liberal democratic state like ours?

I think so! In centrally commanded economies, whatever the Politburo orders, goes...

In a LIBERAL DEMOCRACY like ours, we all shout in a chaotic noisy cacophony, all wanting our voices to be heard and always second guessing the leaders!

N.B. Maybe the reason why leaders in liberal democracies want to declare martial law many times... uhmmm...

What say you?

Physics news on Phys.org
If by Authoritarian you mean like China, then yes, they can take drastic measures without being attacked by an opposition party which can lead to loss in votes in the next election (because there is no general election). Decision making is definitely more efficient.

Likes kadiot
Yes, like China. Totalitarian is an objective clinical term for totalitarian countries. In fact, China is not ashamed of it. It's communist party is proud of being called totalitarian. It is their system.

Well, I lived almost my whole life in New Zealand, which most people will agree that it is democratic. Then I moved to China in my twenties. I felt that in comparison, things are much more fast paced in China because the political bickerings are skipped. I also feel that, while we call then "totalitarian" and typically with a negative connotation, it is not that different from democratic countries. i.e. politicians get to do whatever they want once they are in charge.

wukunlin said:
Well, I lived almost my whole life in New Zealand, which most people will agree that it is democratic. Then I moved to China in my twenties. I felt that in comparison, things are much more fast paced in China because the political bickerings are skipped. I also feel that, while we call then "totalitarian" and typically with a negative connotation, it is not that different from democratic countries. i.e. politicians get to do whatever they want once they are in charge.
There is a positive aspect of a system like the Chinese in the current situation. They have qualified scientists, a huge amount of data, and experimentees to develop and test therapeutica as well as vaccines faster than in the rest of the world, because their obstacles for human tests are significantly lower. In a way China is the best lab we could get these days. The ethical assessment is a different one.

Likes davenn
fresh_42 said:
There is a positive aspect of a system like the Chinese in the current situation. They have qualified scientists, a huge amount of data, and experimentees to develop and test therapeutica as well as vaccines faster than in the rest of the world, because their obstacles for human tests are significantly lower. In a way China is the best lab we could get these days. The ethical assessment is a different one.
Yeah, the ethics thing is tricky. The mentality here is mostly along the lines of: "If this is going to save more people in the end, why not?" They do expect the rest of the world to be grateful, which isn't hard to understand IMO.

Problem with totalitarian systems is that while they can be definitely much more effective in some situations, they tend to degenerate because of a lack of an independent control.

Borek said:
Problem with totalitarian systems is that while they can be definitely much more effective in some situations, they tend to degenerate because of a lack of an independent control.
More democratic systems can degenerate as well. I think I don't have to name an example.

“The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it.”
Adolf Hitler, September 1933

Sorry, this is too political, thread locked.

Likes Tom.G, wukunlin, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is the difference between an authoritarian state and a liberal democratic state?

An authoritarian state is characterized by a strong central government that has complete control over the political system and imposes strict laws and regulations on its citizens. On the other hand, a liberal democratic state is based on the principles of individual freedom and equality, with a government that is accountable to its citizens and upholds civil liberties.

2. How do lockdown measures differ in authoritarian vs liberal democratic states?

In authoritarian states, lockdown measures are often implemented without consultation or input from citizens, and strict punishments may be enforced for non-compliance. In liberal democratic states, lockdown measures are typically decided upon through democratic processes and may include input from citizens and stakeholders. The enforcement of these measures may also be less severe and may rely more on voluntary compliance.

3. Which type of state is more effective in handling a lockdown?

There is no clear answer to this question as the effectiveness of a lockdown depends on various factors such as the severity of the pandemic, the resources and infrastructure of the state, and the cooperation of its citizens. However, some studies suggest that liberal democratic states may have an advantage in terms of public trust and compliance with lockdown measures.

4. How do the economic impacts of a lockdown differ between authoritarian and liberal democratic states?

In authoritarian states, the government may have more control over the economy and can implement measures to mitigate the economic impact of a lockdown. However, this may come at the expense of individual rights and freedoms. In liberal democratic states, the economy may be more market-driven, and the government may have less control over economic policies. This can lead to a greater impact on businesses and individuals, but also allows for more personal and economic freedom.

5. Can a liberal democratic state transition into an authoritarian state during a lockdown?

In theory, it is possible for a liberal democratic state to transition into an authoritarian state during a lockdown. This may occur if the government uses the crisis to increase its control and limit civil liberties. However, this is a complex and controversial issue, and the likelihood of such a transition depends on various factors such as the political climate and the strength of democratic institutions in the state.