1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic Half-Life prob.

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The half-life of a radioactive substance is 194 days. How many days will it take for 80% of the substance to decay?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had to make 1/2n=1/5. I did this by finding log25=n. After this, I needed to only multiply by the number of days it took the half-life to occur, which was 194, and got 451 (approx.) as a reasonable answer.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

There is absolutely enough information there. I could tell you the answer right now (but I won't, that's what you get to do ;-)

I'd advise you to go back and double-check that equation, though.

4. May 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In one "half life", T, (1/2)C= CekT. The Cs cancel, and you solve that for k. After you know that you can solve 0.8C= Cekt for t.

But you don't need to use "e". If T is the half life then [itex]C(t)= C(0)(1/2)^{t/T}[/itex] because every time "T" days, you multiply by1/2. Solve [itex].8C= C(1/2)^{t/194}[/itex].

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. May 6, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Looks good...

6. May 6, 2009 #5
    =) omg! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook