Looking for study group to hack on basic theory in condensed matter

physicsxanime
TL;DR Summary
I would like to find study mate on condensed matter physics at the graduate level.
Hi Pholks,
I just change my field of study from cosmology to condensed matter and I have a severe lack of knowledge in condensed matter. Having only some concepts in quantum mechanics and field theory, I would like to ask if there are anyone who wants to setup a weekly study group to discuss condensed matter physics together.
Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why a study group? Why not just ask for advice on what to study and ask questions when you encounter a road block?

pines-demon said:
Why a study group? Why not just ask for advice on what to study and ask questions when you encounter a road block?
Good point! I think advice from people who knows the stuff is very valuable indeed! However, there are a few advantage to have study group. 1. We engage in a more active learning. Each of the study mate are not expert, so we need to all work super hard to clear some concepts. 2. It is also much better for research habit to not look for answer immediately but to struggle first. It feels a bit better if you are struggling with a bunch of peers. 3. Creating connections. As a starting physicist, I am lacking connections to other brilliant mind, this is a starting point to everything.

That said, I totally understand your worries. This is likely not work out at the end. But if it works, it will be a very good learning experience, and I wish to try.

Likes pines-demon
Sorry, PF isn't really set up for facilitating this kind of request. In addition to looking around at your university, you might consider a resource like craigslist or similar for finding folks with similar interests to set up remote study groups. Good luck. :smile: