Quantum field theory of condensed matter

In summary: A8A8f9-2fd9-4f8e-b1f5-bffdf5ddb5d7&pg=1&search=%22%3A%3AQuantum%20Field%20Theory%20in%20Condensed%20Matter%20Physics%3A%22
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a good introductory article about QFT applied to condensed matter physics.

I know a bit about condensed matter physics, and a bit of QFT applied to particle physics.

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

"Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics", A. M. Tsvelik @ CUP (1995, sec. ed. 2003).

"Principles of condensed matter physics", P. M. Chaikin & T. C. Lubensky @ CUP (1995)

"A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-body Problem" R. D. Mattuck @ Dover (1992)

Kittel's "Quantum Theory of Solids" is old, but I liked it.

Sorry, those are not articles. Until a condensed matter physicist provides you with such a review, you can look up for specific references of your insterest. I can dig them up from those books if you request more specifically what you are interested in, because the topic is quite vast.

yeah I have found many books on amazon and so on, but just wanted a quick introduction

thanx anyway:-)

malawi_glenn said:
yeah I have found many books on amazon and so on, but just wanted a quick introduction

Ah but as I said, the topic is incredibely wide. Conformal methods by themselves can be studied a life time long, and I do not believe they are simple enough to be in a short review. Zee's book deals quite well with quite a few ideas.

http://web.mit.edu/redingtn/www/netadv/biblio2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard textbooks are:
1. Abrikosov, Gorkov & Dzyaloshinski
2. Fetter & Wallecka
3. Mahan

None of these is a quick introduction. Mattuck's book is definitely a quicker read than any of the above. Also, a partial introduction can be had from the first 4 chapters of Schwabl (Adv. QM).

Recommend one book
Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems
by Xiao-gang Wen

I like Alex Altland's book, "Condensed Matter Field Theory"

malawi_glenn said:

Mattuck's text is about the shortest intro to field theory in condensed matter physics, I learned quite a bit from it when I read it. The other texts mentioned are way too long for an introduction to the area.

1. What is quantum field theory of condensed matter?

Quantum field theory of condensed matter is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and field theory to describe the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. It is used to understand the properties of materials such as solids, liquids, and gases at a fundamental level.

2. How is quantum field theory of condensed matter different from traditional condensed matter theory?

Traditional condensed matter theory focuses on the macroscopic behavior of materials, while quantum field theory of condensed matter takes into account the quantum nature of particles and their interactions at the microscopic level. It provides a more comprehensive and accurate description of the behavior of materials at the nanoscale.

3. What are some applications of quantum field theory of condensed matter?

Quantum field theory of condensed matter has many practical applications, including the development of new materials with specific properties, understanding the behavior of quantum computers, and predicting and designing new technologies such as superconductors and topological insulators.

4. What are the main challenges in studying and applying quantum field theory of condensed matter?

One of the main challenges in studying and applying quantum field theory of condensed matter is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. Another challenge is the need for high-level computational tools to analyze and simulate the behavior of materials at the nanoscale.

5. How does quantum field theory of condensed matter contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quantum field theory of condensed matter helps us understand the behavior of matter at the smallest scales, providing insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the building blocks of the universe. It also has applications in fields such as cosmology and particle physics, contributing to our understanding of the universe as a whole.