Quantum field theory of condensed matter

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a good introductory article about QFT applied to condensed matter physics.

I know a bit about condensed matter physics, and a bit of QFT applied to particle physics.

thanx

Hi,

"Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics", A. M. Tsvelik @ CUP (1995, sec. ed. 2003).

"Principles of condensed matter physics", P. M. Chaikin & T. C. Lubensky @ CUP (1995)

"A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-body Problem" R. D. Mattuck @ Dover (1992)

Kittel's "Quantum Theory of Solids" is old, but I liked it.

Sorry, those are not articles. Until a condensed matter physicist provides you with such a review, you can look up for specific references of your insterest. I can dig them up from those books if you request more specifically what you are interested in, because the topic is quite vast.

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
yeah I have found many books on amazon and so on, but just wanted a quick introduction

thanx anyway:-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The standard textbooks are:
1. Abrikosov, Gorkov & Dzyaloshinski
2. Fetter & Wallecka
3. Mahan

None of these is a quick introduction. Mattuck's book is definitely a quicker read than any of the above. Also, a partial introduction can be had from the first 4 chapters of Schwabl (Adv. QM).

Recommend one book
Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems
by Xiao-gang Wen

I like Alex Altland's book, "Condensed Matter Field Theory"

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
yeah I have found many books on amazon and so on, but just wanted a quick introduction

thanx anyway:-)
Mattuck's text is about the shortest intro to field theory in condensed matter physics, I learned quite a bit from it when I read it. The other texts mentioned are way too long for an introduction to the area.