Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum field theory of condensed matter

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wondering if anyone has a good introductory article about QFT applied to condensed matter physics.

I know a bit about condensed matter physics, and a bit of QFT applied to particle physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2

"Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics", A. M. Tsvelik @ CUP (1995, sec. ed. 2003).

"Principles of condensed matter physics", P. M. Chaikin & T. C. Lubensky @ CUP (1995)

"A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-body Problem" R. D. Mattuck @ Dover (1992)

Kittel's "Quantum Theory of Solids" is old, but I liked it.

Sorry, those are not articles. Until a condensed matter physicist provides you with such a review, you can look up for specific references of your insterest. I can dig them up from those books if you request more specifically what you are interested in, because the topic is quite vast.
  4. Jul 3, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah I have found many books on amazon and so on, but just wanted a quick introduction

thanx anyway:-)
  5. Jul 3, 2008 #4
    Ah but as I said, the topic is incredibely wide. Conformal methods by themselves can be studied a life time long, and I do not believe they are simple enough to be in a short review. Zee's book deals quite well with quite a few ideas.

Physics Literature Condensed Matter Theory (MIT)
  6. Jul 3, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The standard textbooks are:
    1. Abrikosov, Gorkov & Dzyaloshinski
    2. Fetter & Wallecka
    3. Mahan

None of these is a quick introduction. Mattuck's book is definitely a quicker read than any of the above. Also, a partial introduction can be had from the first 4 chapters of Schwabl (Adv. QM).
  7. Jul 4, 2008 #6
    Recommend one book
    Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems
    by Xiao-gang Wen
  8. Jul 4, 2008 #7
    I like Alex Altland's book, "Condensed Matter Field Theory"
  9. Jul 4, 2008 #8

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mattuck's text is about the shortest intro to field theory in condensed matter physics, I learned quite a bit from it when I read it. The other texts mentioned are way too long for an introduction to the area.
  10. Jul 6, 2008 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?