Losing Confidence with Grad Apps for Physics :/

In summary, the individual is questioning whether or not to apply for a PhD program due to concerns about their GPA and physics GRE scores. They are considering taking more time to improve their scores and apply for a masters program instead, in order to gain more research experience and potentially strengthen their application for a PhD in the future. They are seeking advice on whether this is the best approach and what grad schools look for in applicants for experimental physics. They have not consulted with their research advisors yet, but are interested in pursuing a career in academia and enjoying research.
bluechic92
Hey Everyone,
Before I made a thread about applying to grad school, now I am not sure if I should for PhD just yet.

I feel like my gpa is not high enough, my physics gre is not good enough, and overall feeling pretty lousy about applying. I am already taking a year off, and now I just think I should take some more time before applying to PhD programs.

I took a year off to improve my pgre scores and it only went from *very horrible* to 700 (52%). I was planning on applying to grad school as undecided between theory and experiment, but to be honest that's freaking me out. I have research experiences in high energy theory and I love(d) it! My app is not strong enough to continue with this field, however. Also, I have no experience in experimental physics at all ( unless if lab courses count).

I am thinking about applying to masters in physics instead. I think a masters program will give me the opportunity to take more advanced courses, hopefully do well and get a high gpa, and get more research experience. I can try experimental or another sub field or something. Of course I hope to raise my pgre scores even higher. This way, if I realize I still want to do HEP-th , I can work towards making my app stronger.

I only know that I want the PhD! I love research! The possibility of working in academia is appealing, however research is my favorite ( so any research oriented job is fine).

Do you think applying for only masters program is the better way to go? Should I apply for PhD at some places anyways? What do grad schools look for when people apply for experimental physics? I have not consulted with my research advisors yet. They believe that I will be successful in grad school, even at the institutions they went/have connections at. The only problem is, those schools are all top 10 and my current credentials are not strong enough.
I appreciate any sort of advice! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. Why am I losing confidence in my graduate applications for physics?

There could be many reasons for losing confidence in your graduate applications for physics. It could be due to a lack of preparation, low grades, or a competitive applicant pool. It is important to identify the root cause and address it accordingly.

2. How can I improve my confidence for my grad applications in physics?

To improve your confidence for grad applications in physics, you can focus on your strengths and accomplishments, seek support and guidance from mentors or advisors, and work on improving your weaknesses. Additionally, staying organized and maintaining a positive mindset can also help boost confidence.

3. What can I do if I have low grades in my physics courses?

If you have low grades in your physics courses, you can try retaking them to improve your grades. Additionally, you can also highlight other aspects of your application, such as research experience or relevant extracurricular activities, to showcase your strengths and potential as a graduate student.

4. How important is research experience for graduate applications in physics?

Research experience is highly valued in graduate applications for physics. It not only demonstrates your interest and passion for the field but also showcases your ability to conduct independent research and think critically. If you lack research experience, you can try to gain some through internships, volunteer work, or independent projects.

5. What are some tips for writing a strong personal statement for grad applications in physics?

Some tips for writing a strong personal statement for grad applications in physics include highlighting your passion for the subject, showcasing your relevant skills and experiences, and explaining your future goals and how a graduate degree in physics will help you achieve them. It is also important to be concise, organized, and proofread your statement for any errors.