1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Losing Confidence with Grad Apps for Physics :/

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    Hey Everyone,
    Before I made a thread about applying to grad school, now I am not sure if I should for PhD just yet.

I feel like my gpa is not high enough, my physics gre is not good enough, and overall feeling pretty lousy about applying. I am already taking a year off, and now I just think I should take some more time before applying to PhD programs.

I took a year off to improve my pgre scores and it only went from *very horrible* to 700 (52%). I was planning on applying to grad school as undecided between theory and experiment, but to be honest that's freaking me out. I have research experiences in high energy theory and I love(d) it! My app is not strong enough to continue with this field, however. Also, I have no experience in experimental physics at all ( unless if lab courses count).

I am thinking about applying to masters in physics instead. I think a masters program will give me the opportunity to take more advanced courses, hopefully do well and get a high gpa, and get more research experience. I can try experimental or another sub field or something. Of course I hope to raise my pgre scores even higher. This way, if I realize I still want to do HEP-th , I can work towards making my app stronger.

I only know that I want the PhD! I love research! The possibility of working in academia is appealing, however research is my favorite ( so any research oriented job is fine).

Do you think applying for only masters program is the better way to go? Should I apply for PhD at some places anyways? What do grad schools look for when people apply for experimental physics? I have not consulted with my research advisors yet. They believe that I will be successful in grad school, even at the institutions they went/have connections at. The only problem is, those schools are all top 10 and my current credentials are not strong enough.
    I appreciate any sort of advice! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook