Useful ipad apps for physics majors?

In summary, there are a few apps that are physics-specific, but they are not very comprehensive or useful.
Ascendant78
At this point, I have about $45 credit in my iTunes account from gift cards given to me for Christmas. I was wondering if there are any useful apps out there that I can get for physics? Whether they are good now for while I am in college, good for work in the field post-college, or both. For apps that might be sub-field specific, my current focus is high-energy astrophysics.

I have looked around, but haven't found anything that seemed that great. There were lots of reference apps, but I can easily find all of that for free online and through my courses. If there were one that were really comprehensive and worth it, I'd definitely consider, but most of them seem to have so few reviews (or bad ones) that I just wasn't sure.

Here is a list of the ones I have already:
1) Quickoffice - useful for editing my .docs on the go
2) Goodreader - preferred reader since I can bookmark, etc (though I use quickoffice for .docs)
3) Adobe Reader - I use this for slower-loading PDFs (Goodreader can sometimes slow to a crawl)

As you can see, I don't have any that are physics specific, just ones that I use for studies, ebooks, personal notes, etc. Oh, and I do have Mathematica on my computer, so I didn't see the point in paying for it on an app as well. I also have a couple free physics apps, but none that I have found that useful. If anyone has any really useful ones, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some apps that I have that are related to physics one way or another:
- distant suns (astronomy app)

for math:
- pocket cas (symbolic math and graphing of results)
- myscript calculator (handwritten expression numerically evaluated)
- MathPad (convert handwritten expression into latex or image)
- graphcalc( like a TI graphing calculator)

for programming:
- pythonista (useful for pytho-based computer simulations or games or multi-touch apps)
- codea (similar but based on Lua, very cool)
- textastic programmer's editor (supports java, c/c++, ruby, python... with colorizing)

for artwork:
- procreate (best painting app)
- inkpad (vector graphics drawing app)
- sketchtime (simple but useful drawing app)

for notetaking:
- noteshelf (create notebooks from photos, drawings ... and export pdfs)
- inkflow (similar to noteshelf but with a cool lasso/rotate/resize/delete feature)
- inkredible (great multi-touch gesturing to edit a drawing)
- noteability ( can record audio while you take notes)

for reports, documents, presentations and papers:
- Apple Pages (word processor)
- Apple Keynote (presentation)
- Apple Numbers (spreadsheet)

Other:
- tips and tricks of the ipad app (categorized tips and tricks that you probably overlooked)
- flipboard (magazine format for news... has wired, tech crunch, maker and other channels)
- wikipanion (wikipedia app with offline content saving and add to the queue for later reading features)
- azul (the vlc like app for ipad)
- ted talks app
- osmos game app (cool app with simulated waterworld style physics)
- iThoughts (mindmapping and info organizing app)

Lastly, I originally had gotten the SpaceTime app now known as MathStudio but was put off when the developer abandoned his client base when he renamed the app to MathStudio and forced everyone to buy MathStudio.

To be fair you should check it out yourself. The app has some powerful features but be aware it isn't MATLAB on the iPad and the PocketCAS app does much of the same stuff:

http://www.mathstudioapp.com/apps/

This bait and switch sometimes happens on iTunes but you can google for how to get Apple to refund your app purchase if you feel you've been cheated or the app was bought in error (some 5 yr old went on an app buying spree after his dad bought a game for him because his iTunes login was still valid for 15 mins and chalked upto to $1500 in apps)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the list. I'll be sure to check that stuff out soon!

1. What are some useful iPad apps for physics majors?

There are many useful iPad apps for physics majors, such as WolframAlpha, Physics Toolbox Suite, and NASA Visualization Explorer. These apps can help with calculations, data analysis, and visualizing complex concepts.

2. Are there any free iPad apps specifically designed for physics majors?

Yes, there are several free iPad apps designed specifically for physics majors, including PhyPhox, Physics Formula Sheet, and Physics Quiz.

3. Can iPad apps replace traditional textbooks for physics majors?

While iPad apps can provide helpful supplements to traditional textbooks, they cannot fully replace them. Textbooks offer more comprehensive and in-depth information, while apps are better for quick reference and interactive learning.

4. Are there any iPad apps that can help with experimental physics?

Yes, there are several iPad apps designed specifically for experimental physics, such as Physics Toolbox Sensor Suite and Physics Pro. These apps can assist with data collection, analysis, and visualization during experiments.

5. Are there any iPad apps that can help with studying for physics exams?

Yes, there are many iPad apps that can aid in studying for physics exams, such as Physics Classroom, Physics Quiz, and Physics 101. These apps offer practice questions, quizzes, and interactive lessons to help reinforce key concepts.