Making a quantum computer do Shor's algorithm

In summary, the conversation discussed understanding quantum superposition and entanglement, as well as the concept of a qubit. The speaker also mentioned reading a blog post that helped them understand Shor's Algorithm and its connection to quantum mechanics. However, they were unsure of how to implement the algorithm using multiple qubits and asked for a reference. The conversation also drew an analogy to early computers and programming methods. The summary concludes by mentioning a relevant PhD thesis on the topic.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I think I understand quantum superposition and entanglement, and a qubit. I just finished reading Scott Aaronson's brilliant blog post "Shor I'll Do It" that allowed me to understand Shor's Algorithm and how it relates to QM.

But now I'm missing the next step. How does one "wire up" a number of qubits to implement Shor's algorithm and apply it to find the period of a specific key? Can anyone steer me to a reference that would explain that please?

My mind wants to make an analogy to the earliest computers like the IBM 650 when programming consisted of plugging patch cords into a panel.

Man_holding_an_IBM_control_panel.ds.jpg

photo Daniel Sancho - Flickr: Panel IBMp.s. I guessed that this question would be better in the QM forum than the programming and computer science forum.

Likes edguy99
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a relevant phd thesis.

Putting the operations directly into the wiring isn't needed, because we have computers and computers are great at "make this happen, then that, then that, then that" kind of stuff. Picture a normal computer telling some specialized hardware to apply specific laser/microwave pulses, and the pulses happen to correspond to the operations making up Shor's algorithm.

Likes DrClaude, Truecrimson and anorlunda

1. What is Shor's algorithm?

Shor's algorithm is a quantum algorithm that is used to find the prime factors of a large number. It was developed by mathematician Peter Shor in 1994 and is considered one of the most significant breakthroughs in quantum computing.

2. Why is a quantum computer necessary for Shor's algorithm?

Shor's algorithm relies on the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically superposition and entanglement, to efficiently find the prime factors of a large number. This would be extremely difficult and time-consuming for a classical computer to do, making a quantum computer necessary for the algorithm to work effectively.

3. How does a quantum computer make Shor's algorithm more efficient?

A quantum computer uses qubits (quantum bits) instead of classical bits, allowing for a large number of calculations to be performed simultaneously. This parallel processing capability is what makes Shor's algorithm more efficient on a quantum computer.

4. What are the challenges in making a quantum computer do Shor's algorithm?

One of the main challenges is building a quantum computer with a sufficient number of qubits and maintaining the fragile quantum state necessary for the algorithm to work. Additionally, the algorithm requires a high degree of precision and error correction to produce accurate results.

5. How close are we to having a quantum computer that can effectively run Shor's algorithm?

While significant progress has been made in developing quantum computers, we are still far from having a fully functional quantum computer that can run Shor's algorithm on a large scale. However, with ongoing research and advancements in technology, we are getting closer to achieving this goal.