Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Making a quantum computer do Shor's algorithm

1. May 28, 2016 #1

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

I think I understand quantum superposition and entanglement, and a qubit. I just finished reading Scott Aaronson's brilliant blog post "Shor I'll Do It" that allowed me to understand Shor's Algorithm and how it relates to QM.

But now I'm missing the next step. How does one "wire up" a number of qubits to implement Shor's algorithm and apply it to find the period of a specific key? Can anyone steer me to a reference that would explain that please?

My mind wants to make an analogy to the earliest computers like the IBM 650 when programming consisted of plugging patch cords into a panel.

Man_holding_an_IBM_control_panel.ds.jpg
    photo Daniel Sancho - Flickr: Panel IBM

p.s. I guessed that this question would be better in the QM forum than the programming and computer science forum.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Here's a relevant phd thesis.

Putting the operations directly into the wiring isn't needed, because we have computers and computers are great at "make this happen, then that, then that, then that" kind of stuff. Picture a normal computer telling some specialized hardware to apply specific laser/microwave pulses, and the pulses happen to correspond to the operations making up Shor's algorithm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted