Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Making the Rules page easier to read

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just thinking, when we point new users to the Rules page, that is a lot to ask somebody to read through just to find clarification on the one item they are violating. I know we should all have read that page thoroughly, but I never have. I find using common sense and following the examples of others works pretty well, and I only occasionally refer to the Rules page when I have a question about specific items.

So here's my suggestion: how about making each section of the Rules page be a separate clickable link? I mean when you add something like #homework at the end of the URL (don't know the correct term for what that's called), so that clicking the link takes you directly to the section dealing with homework, or whatever. It would be a lot easier for people to find and read exactly how to correct the specific thing they are being criticized for.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That would be nice. What I do when I give a warning of a Guideline violation is copy and paste the portion of the Guidelines they are violating.

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be nice. I'm not sure if it can be done like that, but if it can, that would be nice. Or, what I KNOW the forum software would allow is if we put each section of the rules in a separate post in that thread, and then the opening post is the clickable links to each individual post. More work when we make major changes to the rules, but actually, less effort if we just make a minor change to one section and only need to then modify one post.

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. And here's an example of what I mean, in case I didn't explain it clearly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_atom#Shortcomings

I'd expect this is a standard capability of any web page editor. You could direct a member to a specific section of the rules, but at the same time you are showing them the entire document so they are aware of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?