Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man on shooting rampage in office. Good time to call for an interview?

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_bi_ge/us_business_shooting_st_louis [Broken]
    So we have an emergency where people could be dying, and inside the office reporters are trying to get a hold of someone. Anyone.

I've seen this many times in immediate reports which leave me wondering if maybe there should be laws requiring the media to not tie up the lines, for obvious reasons.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The shooting was in St Louis, the HQ was in Zurich.
    The HQ had already made a statement, AP was jsut doing the standard reporting thing of saying 'X was not available for comment'. For responsible news organisations this shows they did follow up, for the others it means they can spin it into X is avoiding us conspiracy.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    I was under the impression that they were calling the office where the suspect was still believed to be inside.

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, they also said that they called the St Louis office and got no answer.

They're a news organization, they try to get news, they don't care about or consider the potential consequences.

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I'd interpreted the title of this thread completely differently.

Back when I was a laid off construction worker with a two-year-old kid, plus another on the way, a guy I played little league baseball with was shot in the head while working at an all night gas station out on the interstate. I was the first person there to apply for his job the next day.

Even I would have waited until the shooters left the gas station, though.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6
    That's bad. Really bad. :tongue: Because in this economy, there probably are a few people who look at it like that.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was one of them :redface:.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was a very similar economy when I took the gas station job to supplement a minimum wage security guard job (at least very similar if you lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Western New York, or Michigan at the time).

10. Jan 7, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was reading the interview stories on thedailywtf.com - having a job interview while people are being shot around you would just about fit in with some people's experience of interview for computer jobs!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook