Manners of Dissolving Substances

• Thread starter Mazurka
  • Start date
In summary, substances can dissolve through dissociation, ionization, or dispersion. Acetic acid dissolves through dissociation, methanol through dispersion, and copper (II) sulfate through dissociation. However, it is important to note that some sources may suggest that acetic acid dissolves through ionization, as it is a weak acid and dissociates only partially. It is generally helpful to remember that salts, strong acids, and strong bases will dissociate, weak acids and bases will dissociate only partially, and everything else will not dissociate at all.
Mazurka
Chemistry: Manners of Dissolving Substances

Homework Statement

"Dissolving a substance can be achieved through dissociation, ionization, or dispersion. Which manner of dissolving occurs to each of the following substances? Substances are: acetic acid, methanol and copper (II) sulfate."

Homework Equations

Acetic Acid: CH3COOH, Methanol: CH3OH, Copper (II) sulfate: CuSO4

The Attempt at a Solution

Acetic acid: Dissociation.
Methanol: Dispersion.
Copper (II) sulfate: Dissociation.

I am confused as to why some sources suggest that acetic acid would dissolve through ionization. Isn't acetic acid ionic? If not, how would I go about discerning when a substance is ionic or not, particularly when the compound contains one or more polyatomic ions?

Please take into account that I am only at a intermediate high school level of education. I will not be able to understand any explanation that requires me to have attended a grade twelve or university level of chemistry. I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thank you,

Eric.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some thing you just have to memorize. Acetic acid is an acid - so it dissociates. But it is a weak acid - so it dissociates only partially.

This is related to your earlier question on ionizable substances - rule of thumb is all salts dissociate, all strong acids and strong bases dissociate, weak acids/bases dissociate only partially, everything else doesn't dissociate at all.

What is the definition of "Manners of Dissolving Substances"?

"Manners of Dissolving Substances" refers to the various ways in which a substance can be dissolved in a solvent. This includes factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the substances involved.

What are the different types of dissolving manners?

The different types of dissolving manners include dissolution, hydration, dissociation, and ionization. Dissolution is when a substance dissolves in a solvent without any chemical change, hydration is when water molecules surround and interact with the dissolved substance, dissociation is when a compound breaks into smaller ions in a solvent, and ionization is when a substance forms ions in a solvent.

How does temperature affect the dissolving process?

Generally, increasing the temperature of a solvent will increase the rate of dissolution. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the solvent molecules to interact with and break apart the solute particles. However, there are some exceptions where temperature can also cause a substance to become less soluble, such as in the case of gases dissolved in water.

What role does pressure play in the dissolving of substances?

Pressure does not have a significant effect on the dissolving process in liquid solutions. However, in the case of gases dissolved in liquids, increasing pressure can increase the solubility of the gas in the liquid. This is because higher pressure forces more gas molecules into the liquid, increasing the chances of them interacting with the solvent molecules.

How do the chemical properties of a substance affect its dissolving behavior?

The chemical properties of a substance, such as its polarity and intermolecular forces, can greatly affect its dissolving behavior. Substances with similar polarities are more likely to dissolve in each other, while substances with different polarities may not be able to dissolve in each other. Additionally, substances with stronger intermolecular forces may require more energy to be dissolved, making them less soluble.