1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manners of Dissolving Substances

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Chemistry: Manners of Dissolving Substances

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Dissolving a substance can be achieved through dissociation, ionization, or dispersion. Which manner of dissolving occurs to each of the following substances? Substances are: acetic acid, methanol and copper (II) sulfate."

2. Relevant equations

Acetic Acid: CH3COOH, Methanol: CH3OH, Copper (II) sulfate: CuSO4

3. The attempt at a solution

Acetic acid: Dissociation.
    Methanol: Dispersion.
    Copper (II) sulfate: Dissociation.

I am confused as to why some sources suggest that acetic acid would dissolve through ionization. Isn't acetic acid ionic? If not, how would I go about discerning when a substance is ionic or not, particularly when the compound contains one or more polyatomic ions?

Please take into account that I am only at a intermediate high school level of education. I will not be able to understand any explanation that requires me to have attended a grade twelve or university level of chemistry. I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thank you,

Eric.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Some thing you just have to memorize. Acetic acid is an acid - so it dissociates. But it is a weak acid - so it dissociates only partially.

This is related to your earlier question on ionizable substances - rule of thumb is all salts dissociate, all strong acids and strong bases dissociate, weak acids/bases dissociate only partially, everything else doesn't dissociate at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook