Many little linear questions

• Thread starter FlashStorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, we are discussing matrices with unique minimal polynomials over a field k, and the relationship between the eigenvalues of these matrices and the corresponding polynomials. We have also discussed the proof that a linear transformation T from a finite-dimensional vector space V to itself is normal if and only if ||T*(v)||=||T(v)|| for all v in V. There are still some unanswered questions about the eigenvalues and the proof for the transformation T, and further help is needed.
FlashStorm
1)let A be a matrix of n*n above K. let P be a polynom of K[x] such that the polynom P = 0 when substituting A into that polynom. What can we say about the eigenvalues of A? What can we say about matrices that has one or more of these eigenvalues? can we say that this polynom is zero when substituting one of these eigenvalues? (well , I am 99& sure about it since I read this proof).

2)(Test question) Let T be a linear transformation from V to V , when dimV is finite. ||T*(V)||<=||T(V)|| for all v E V, I need to proof that T is normal. Now , obviously we need to proof that ||T*(V)||=||T(V)|| because then we get (after playing with both sides of the equation: (v,TT*v)<=(v,T*Tv).

Now I don't think that its possible that T* can be such transformation that makes the vector shorter each times (But its probably just intuition I developed from this question). I tried to come up with a sentence or something logical for it but I failed.

Well that's for now, Its kinda simple and basic I guess, but I am stuck and I really need help.

Thanks,
Aviv

Physics news on Phys.org
if A is a matrix over k, there is aunique k alkgebra map k[X]-->Mat(n,k) taking X to A. By dimension count, this map has a non trivial kernel generated by a unique monic polynomial f, which thus divides another k polynomial P if and only if P(A) = 0.

This f is called the minimal polynomial of A.

If c is an eigenvaklue of A, there is a basis for the space with the corresponding eigenvector as the first entry. in this basis the matrix for A will have c in the upper left entry and all other entries in the first column are zeroes.

When f is applied to this matrix the uppr left entry is f(c). since the whole matrix is zero, so is f(c). I.e. the minimal polynomial f of A, and hence lso any multiple of it, i.e. any polynomial which annihilates A, will have c as a root.

Nice :) . But if The Polynom doesn't go zero when substituting A? Can i deduce that all of A eigenvalues aren't roots? something tells It isn't right. But still if that's the case or not, what can I say about the eigenvalues?

And my second questions is still a problem :( ( There I played with the value
used at first the fact that ||T*(v)+T(v)||<||T*(V)||+||T(V)|| and then transformed it into inner product formula which led me to : (Tv,T*v)+(T*v,Tv)<=0 ____
then Re(Tv,T*v)<=0 with the (a,b)= (b,a).

now from cauchy-"schwarzenegger" I deduced that : |(Tv,T*v)|^2<=||Tv||*||T*v||. But I can't reach anything that can help me. )

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "many little linear questions"?

The concept of "many little linear questions" refers to breaking down a complex problem or topic into smaller, more manageable questions that can be addressed separately. This approach allows for a more systematic and thorough examination of a topic, while also making it easier to understand and communicate.

2. How is the "many little linear questions" method used in research?

In research, the "many little linear questions" method is commonly used to design experiments and studies. By breaking down a research question into smaller, more specific questions, researchers can better control and manipulate variables, and draw more accurate conclusions.

3. What are the benefits of using the "many little linear questions" approach?

The "many little linear questions" approach has several benefits, including promoting clear and systematic thinking, enabling more thorough and accurate examination of a topic, and facilitating effective communication and collaboration among researchers.

4. Can the "many little linear questions" method be applied to other fields besides science?

Yes, the "many little linear questions" method can be applied to any field or subject that involves problem-solving and critical thinking. It is commonly used in fields such as business, education, and psychology, among others.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using the "many little linear questions" approach?

While the "many little linear questions" approach can be beneficial, it may not always be the most efficient or practical method for addressing a problem or topic. It can also be time-consuming and may not always provide a comprehensive understanding of a complex issue. As with any method, it is important to consider its limitations and adapt it accordingly.