Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass is converted into energy which appears as Binding Energy

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    We know that in nuclear reactions , mass is converted into energy which appears as Binding Energy. Now, when we consider electrons coming close to the nucleus during nuclear/atomic phenomenon, can we consider that the energy present in the electric and Nuclear fields is converted into mass?? Can this be generalised to all forces and energy fields..i.e. If a body moves in a certain force field associated with a vector field, does energy change to mass??? When do such changes take place? Why/Why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2006 #2
    Hey people...can somebody please offer their views on this... FASSSSTTTT...Thanks!

4. Jan 6, 2006 #3
    I am not an expert by any means but the only time I know of energy turning to mass is when a photon is split ino a matter/antimatter pair.

5. Jan 6, 2006 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?